kingsnake

DIY frag rack (noeil)

25 posts in this topic

white egg create from home depot for about 14$ mark and cut to the size you need 

2013064_zps062a5c3d.jpg

Gel crazy glue 4$  and glass cleaner 5$  from walmart

2013068_zpsadf895f9.jpg

end result is the frag rack, i used a file and sand paper to smooth out the cuts

2013066_zps868225bc.jpg

frag rack in tak , i had over 15 frags on the rack and power head blowing on it no problems doing its job

2013069_zps94dfd52c.jpg

I made 2 frag racks for less than 25$  i was also thinking of painting them black with fusin 2 paint (6$)  at the end did not want to wait another few hours and was inpatint so i put it in the tank  

Been making those for a while. Glued to mag floats.

I'm sure others have too,  but i did not see anyone posting on the subject, so i decided to share my ideas and experiance

Is that magnet holding up strong? Hate wasting my float mag to hold up a couple frags?

The bigger the stronger it is. These hold up pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger the stronger it is. These hold up pretty well

In reference to the magnet that is

here is another  pic  of the frag rack with 19 frags on it,  the cheap walmart  magnet does the job

tankpics002_zpscfe69924.jpg

There is black eggcrate and doesn't leak phosphates. Lance @ get pumped saltwater sells them, don't remember the price.. Just though I should share.

I made a couple of frag racks like that with the regular white egg crate but decided to go with the frag craves and put them by the sides of my rockwork so it looks like its part of the rockwork.

I made one of these using a cheap Walmart cleaning magnet and found the magnet rusting inside my tank after about a month. I broke it off and used a different cheap style magnet I had lying around and it has done well since. Only compliant is that is seems to grow algae faster than any other surface in my tank.

Any phosphate leech would be so minimal no one would ever know. And I browsed through the threads about that and no one did a legit test. Just lots of "I thinks" at any rate does Home Depot sell the black egg crate? I know they sell the white

I don't think Home Depot sells black eggcrate. I don't know about the whole phosphate leaks but I have used the regular white eggcrate and always got algae bloom that always began growing on the eggcrate and that's why I discontinued using it. Maybe a coincidence or maybe something else, I just read about the black one not having phosphate leaks but have never made any test myself to corroborate that information.

I found the black egg crate on ebay for 24.99 and 19.99 shipping and handling not worth the price for DIY frag rack there is a black plastic dip that’s available in spray can for 4$ or the fusion 2 spray paint $6 but i was not comfortable
using spray paint or plastic paint in my tank since it may peel away.

I also have a peace of rock that’s flat which i drilled holes in to put the frags, but can’t put too many wholes as the rock cracks and breaks. I do prefer the rock over the frag rack the  only drawback is you can’t adjust the height or placement of it.

Was jut at neptunes and they sell it. So they must get it locally somewhere

I think Lance sells it for $15 a sheet but not sure.

A better magnet are spare Koralia magnets. The big ones are crazy strong and it holds my heavy diy frag rack amazingly well. :)

Of course now I'm magnet-less for my Koralias...