Aquariumtek

Reefer's Code

79 posts in this topic

This year to promote the Reefer's Code we will be handing out frag packs to NVR members to grow out and share. Hang in there for more details as we go through our thought process.

this sounds kewl!!

I read the article about the refers code online a few weeks ago. I have been sharing corals back and forth with a few friends and it's been a lot more enjoyable that way. If I have enough of something to share, they get a frag and they have been sharing good healthy frags as well and a pif mindset with the frags. I prefer this a lot more than putting price tags on everything. Then again, I'm not into the name game or the signature hype.

Time is the essence to our goal.

We are hoping to hand out 10-12 frag packs and each frag pack (containing +/- 10 different frags) is not or hopefully will not be duplicated. These frag packs will be either all zoas, sps, lps, deepwater sps, softies, or combo. While we are getting our fraggers dial in, we would like to hear from the potential candidates that would like to udertake this responsibility of growing them out, and share, and share, and share among NVR members only.

Please provide us a link to your tank thread. In your tank thread please indicate what got you into this hobby, goal for your tank, and what you would like to grow out.

What an amazing project. What inspired you guys to start this project? Is there anything we can do to help?

What started me in this hobby was getting a freshwater tank from a family Mar and my daughter asking where Nemo was. I have always been very interested in owning an octopus and it's still on my to-do list, though raising cuttlefish was pretty close and very satisfying. I have a habit of collecting critters that require their own space (mantis shrimp, cuttlefish and now seahorse) and I love all kinds of coral and can find a home for anything. I have gotten a lot of help from a lot of great people and I strive to pay that help forward as much as possible. I've donated quite a few colonies to mbrs (some whole, some as frags) as a PIF/DBTC piece and will continue to do so. I meet a lot of new people at the lfs in sac (they give me freebies/rescues if I help answer customer questions or unpack shipments when they are swamped) and nvr is the board I send them to.

Current 120

Current 5.5

Edited by GrizFyrFyter

http://forums.nvreefers.org/index.php?showtopic=7218#entry97724

Autobiographical

There's a feeling you get when you know something is right. My turning point in what I want to become in the future came when I wanted a dog. I've always wanted someone to keep me entertained other than my brother. My mother does not allow pets in the house so I asked my dad for a fish tank. He told me,"okay,"from the moment on I wanted to become marine biologist.

There have been a lot of things in my life I've wanted but never had. When I told my dad he said, "You want it you fish ill get you fish," it seem so easy compared to how many times I've been to begging to have a dog. However it also became a struggle but the pet store not knowing exactly how Fish acted and the price and care of fish.

I'm still learning about Marine biology because that's where I'm trying to point my career and life it's just that it's expensive not going to keep hobby but college to get a degree. There's a reason parents work to take care of us and to send us to college I understand everything our parents work for and we are still not humble enough to accept what we have.

I was about nine years old when I had my first aquarium. I like the challenge of setting up and lying about hobby marine life I had no help from my parents although I have killed so many fish. However we all learn from mistakes I learned from mine.

Throughout the years I continue to learn from mistakes and kill fish every so often but however create bacteria for future fish to survive. I would be tempted to buy more fish and just not knowing what fish have to have suitable in tanks to survive. I later figured out that for saltwater fish tanks and an inch of fish per 2 gallons of salt water. And 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon freshwater aquarium. It's not only science with biology you must know, it's also math with measurements of the bacteria supplements and all the testing equipment you use.

There's so many aspects of fish that most of us but I know about because we don't really Get into too much of that hobby and knowing how amazed fish really aren't true colors bringing out the ocean in the comfort of your own home. Marine life can be so relaxing and educational for any age. From past experience I've learned that the more you learn about fish the more you get pulled into the hobby. It's not so much the hobby that pulls you in it's the fish and the colors and movements and how one fish tank can become a whole ecosystem to a community of fish. For a person to have interest in a hobby like this, takes time and effort not so much motivation but the enjoyment of doing the hobby and creating an environment for the fish and other aquatic life.

Have different interests, we all see things differently and just like fish we are different with first different personalities. However we are such alike with characteristics. Not to be off topic or anything but I study how fish react with one another and how they live there life span. I usually pay all sorts of attention to the micro organisms and all the different species living within my little ecosystem. Aquatic life and spending time with all these different fish this sort of shaped me and how i see things differently.

I have learned so much from one little subject most people haven't decided what you want to become when they grow up.. However I want to become a marine biologist. I work on my choir him straight when I come home from school and throughout the afternoon after I'm done with homework. Marine biology has given the responsibility for myself and show me what life truly is through nature's biggest ecosystem.

Instead of wasting money on all sorts of things i spend on the aquarium and everything inside out it. It's just amazing you can keep a miniature ocean inside of a little aquarium and experience so much life and relation. It's part of my life and definitely going to be a part in my future.

I first started playing with aquariums in the 70's we had guppy tanks.  In the 80's I played with a larger system in which I kept interesting fresh water species.  At that time saltwater systems were a dream of mine, but at the time the knowledge base of the hobby was nothing like it is today.  A couple years ago I rediscover the aquarium hobby.  With all the advances in the saltwater hobby I decided to try my hand at it.  We started with a 55 then went to the 120 and now have the 240 that we use as a room divider.  I have now gotten my husband totally hooked. Our home is full of aquariums now.  90 gallon corner which is attached to the 240, the 15 gallon frag and the 100 gallon sump.  In the living room we still have the 120, 40, 30, and 10 all ready to be hospital or QT tanks.

What I enjoy most about the hobby is frag swaps and that whole idea of using our little systems to breed and develop corals to trade.  These small isolated systems should bring about all sorts of new interesting colors and growth patterns.  I am enjoying watching my coral spread out and become acclimated to my system.    I would love the opportunity to be one of the people chosen.  We have the space to grow these corals and then pass them on in a sustainable manner.

http://forums.nvreefers.org/index.php?showtopic=6503

I do have space to QT.

Edited by Kim Pattison

Thats a very awesome idea and I look forward to seeing these frags grow out and pass on to others around the club, also to all the members who want to try this out please be honest about what your tank can handle so they know what coral pack will work for you. Also if your more into a certain type of coral let them know that as well.

FYI:

Most corals will be wild from Aussie and not the bread and butter types; therefore, this requires the volunteers to QT for a short time. We will treat the frags for bugs prior handing them over but it is best that you take further precautions.

I would be interested as well, just haven't had a chance to do a write up yet. Hopefully I'll get some time this week.

Coral QT tank is ready.

Good to hear, but are you sure? You're gonna need those ai sol:)

When will this all happen?

It will happen late Spring. Weather is crappy now for shipping and we are focussed on fish now.

There are some great corals floating out there now but we can't the risk.

I would be interested as well, just haven't had a chance to do a write up yet. Hopefully I'll get some time this week.

No worry. We basically want to see if you got that magic touch. I know I don't :)

Bottom line, everyone, please also state what you would like to grow out.

Thank you very much for your participation.

I prefer lps but can also do softies. I can do sps but I don't chase perfect numbers so my color isn't the same as everyone else's. On the other hand, I have been keeping phosphates down from the beginning unlike last time, where I struggled to keep them under 0.5.

Edited by GrizFyrFyter

I don't have phosphates because I have two phosphate reactors. But I've still new to Acros and I just got into chalices about a year ago. But acans I have and they are doing great.

If it's not to late if like to join in here. Here's the link to my tank. http://forums.nvreefers.org/index.php?showtopic=4632&page=4#entry97972

I've been feeding for about 2.5 years. Started with an 18g ADA tank and then I upgraded to my rimless 57g. It's been a learning experience, most recently with alkalinity. My work schedule doesn't allow much time for that maintenance so I had an alk crash about 3 weeks ago. Things are stablized now, but I lost some SPS. Time to invest in an ATO to help keep salt and alk in check. Some of the old school NVR members are big into the reefers code/PIF methods. It's something I'd like to do more of.

I'd be interested in an SPS pack of sorts.