planecrazy

Salt numbers

R.O. + Kordon Coral Sea Salt mix have aways run good for me

I appreciate you taking the time to post on this thread, however I am going to ask you to be more specific. Give us as much as you have or able to test for. Thank you

Salt type/ water type

Temp

Sg

Alk

Ca

Mg

Ph

Mix time

New bucket of reef crystals 3/31/2013

Temp 78

Mix time 6 hours

Salinity 1.26 (refractometer)

Ph 8.0 (API)

Alk 12.3 (red sea)

Mag 1600 (red sea)

Cal 460 (red sea)

My alk is higher this time but, i say its caused by me adding a pinch of buffer to the ro water. I will be making another batch tomorrow without the buffer and post those results too.

Aquavitro mixed for about 4 hours.

Alk 9.856 Hanna checker

Mag 1500 Salifert test kit

Cal 480 Salifert test kit

Same bucket of reef crystals 4/06/2013

Temp 78

Mix time 6 hours

Salinity 1.26 (refractometer)

Ph 8.0 (API)

Alk 10.4 (red sea)

Mag 1780 (red sea)

Cal 500+ (red sea)

Okay so this time I added no buffer to the rodi water,got a lower alk level but, my calcium and magnesium are significantly higher.

Micro-lift reef salt 4/14/2013

Temp ambient n/a

Mix time 7 hours

Alk 9.1 (red sea) vs 8.12 (company)

Mag 1600 (red sea) vs 1350 (company)

Cal 500 (red sea) vs 450 (company)

Microbe-Lift:

Alk: 9.8 (Salifert)

Ca: 520 (Salifert)

Mag: 1500 (Salifert)

That's only the first time I tested it. I love how fast and clear it mixes. I gave up on Salinity after having cloudy batches and the last straw was getting a grey muck for my water (was literally, a grey muck). Making salt shouldn't be a chore, I'd like to get a salt that would just mix clearly rather than follow some picky guide lines. Glad I switched!

New bucket of reef crystals 12/16/13

Mixed for 6hrs with 5g of rodi water with 0 Tds

Sg-1.30(refractometer) mixed a little high on purpose display tank was low I normally mix at 1.26

Ph-8.4(Red Sea test kit + hand held ph meter)

Alk-10.6(Red Sea test kit)

Cal-500(Red Sea test kit)

Mag-1720(Red Sea test kit)

So these numbers are high but so was the ratio of salt to to water I'm sure if I mixed at my normal sg of 1.26 I would have gotten the same numbers as my last bucket

Okay so same batch of salt but this time I'm mixing at my normal ratio

Mix time 7hrs

Temp-78

Salinity-1.26(refractometer)

Ph-8.2(Red Sea& digital ph meter)

Alk-9.8(Red Sea)

Cal-490(Red Sea)

Mag-1560(Red Sea)

So the numbers are pretty close to what I got last week.

Anyone else getting different numbers with reef crystals or any other salts?

I got a batch of salinity mixing right now I will post soon.

What are the numbers on the bucket?

What are the numbers on the bucket?

image_zps96598f4b.jpg

I tested aquavitro salinity  with red sea reef foundation @ 1.025

mixed 3.5 gallons for 16 hours with rio 1100+

temp 78

mg- 1300

ca- 490

kh- 8.8

I'm liking the numbers you guys are getting from the Salinity salt. I was using Red Sea Coral Pro, but lately I've been trying to keep my parameters NSW so my ALK is lower than the Red Sea Pro which was running more like 10-11 dkh after 24 hrs so I had to let it mix for 48 hours or so after to get the ALK down.  I was also looking for a change as I noticed ever since the current bucket I have for whatever reason I was getting some hair algae.  Interestingly ever since I switched to Brightwells mix I have eliminate the algae (not sure how related this was but feeding and water change habits did not change).

I'm trying Brightwells salt right now. So far it mixes really fast and is super clear not leaving any residue behind. I like that the ALK mixes lower but have also noticed that the CA and MG mixes pretty low especially after 24 hrs which is what they recommend. So for now I actually need to dose my change water before adding. My tank parameters for ca and mg have been lower than I like because of this, but nothing seems to care. 

Test kits: Milwaukee digital refractometer, Hanna alk, Rea Sea Pro for Ca and Mg, apex lab grade probe PH

Brightwells: 24 hrs of mixing; samples are three separate mixes

Sample #1

SG:1.025

PH-8.01

Alk-7.896

Ca-300

Mg-920

Sample #2

PH-8.07

Alk-8.064

Ca-300

Mg-980

Sample #2

PH-8.10

Alk-8.960

Ca-335

Mg-1085

anyone test their salt mixes recently? I'm looking to switch, the Brightwells is consistently mixing low for ca and mg, Red Sea pro is consistently too high in alk for my tank.  Thinking about Salinity or maybe one of the sea chem salts...

anyone test their salt mixes recently? I'm looking to switch, the Brightwells is consistently mixing low for ca and mg, Red Sea pro is consistently too high in alk for my tank.  Thinking about Salinity or maybe one of the sea chem salts...

Check out red sea salt not the pro. It mixes to 7.8, 380 and 1300 I think.

Reef crystals also has a good reputation and it isn't as high as RSCP

I should have some numbers in the morning I'll be mixing reef crystals tonight

Red Sea (not pro) was the first salt I started with lol... And I remember switching to Pro because that the time I thought I needed elevate levels, but lately I'm finding my corals doing better at the near salt water levels. Funny because my very first tank I was more successful with the idea of keeping things at NSW... For what ever reason I got off that track now headed back. Totally forgot about the non-pro Red Sea. Anyone one else have recent numbers on Red Sea?

I'm actually doing good with the Brightwells, but man the levels are really low, although my coral doesn't seem to care too much... Although I find my self dosing just to maintain subpar numbers.

Goal would be to find salt mix to do water changes with that are something like: Alk 7 - 8 , CA 400 ish, MG 1300 ish.

Contenders are now: Red Sea not pro and salinity