planecrazy

Salt numbers

Turns out my Brightwells salt is not as low is I thought I bought some new test kits to double check and sure enough everything was higher, well ca and mg. Retest using Salifert:

CA- 400

Mg- 1300

Funny thing is I know why I killed my GHA, mg in tank is at 1500 because of adding extra doses thinking I was low!

Red Sea coral pro

Mix time 30 mins

Temp 77

Sg 1.26

Ca 490

Alk 11

Mag 1600+

Ph 8.4

Hi guys, old post I know, but I have a question. When mixing salt does it matter if the container has a lid and is closed? How do you all mix? Open or closed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys, old post I know, but I have a question. When mixing salt does it matter if the container has a lid and is closed? How do you all mix? Open or closed?

my container has a lid but I don't always use it. If I am mixing for a short time I leave the lid off otherwise I leave it on to keep dust and dog hair out of the water as best I can. I do have a lot of water lost if I have the heater on and no lid.

I thought maybe I was doing it wrong and shouldn't cover it, like due to precipitation or something, glad to know I'm not the only one then.

In the winter time I use a lid just to keep the water temp as close as possible to match my tank. I normally heat the water and then add salt within a couple hours I add it to the tank.

I use kz reefers best. It's close to natural sea water...but on the expense side.

I use kz reefers best. It's close to natural sea water...but on the expense side.

I have looked at it, I know brs promotes it pretty heavily. I am guessing that you like it?

Yes. Yes i do. If shipping weren't so expensive it's definitely worth it.

I don't test new salt anymore unless I have a problem I can't figure out. I do however still go back and references the information in this thread. If you do have a problem you can't figure out, sometimes you need to start at the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't even tested my salinity in the tank or when mixing up water in a few months. Lol

Wow I test mine at least monthly and always check my water change batches.

23 minutes ago, poolman said:

I haven't even tested my salinity in the tank or when mixing up water in a few months. Lol

I have been lazy latley. I have been meaning to buy one of the Milwaukee testers.

2 hours ago, poolman said:

I have been lazy latley. I have been meaning to buy one of the Milwaukee testers.

I like using mine. Makes it simple and fast, only thing is it is kind of big so makes it a pain to store in the cabinet.

It's been a while since I've tested anything but wanted to check what my current Seachem Reef bucket was pumping out. Also, it's interesting to note: no two different branded test kits will ever measure the same from my experience. Rather than chase numbers, I try to ballpark the values I'm looking for and target consistency within that target over hard numbers.

Salt: Seachem Reef

TDS: 0

Temp: 78

Mix Time: 3 hours in a bucket with MaxiJet and heater

Alk: 8.4 dKH (Red Sea)

9.5 dKH (Hanna)

8.2 dKH (Salifert)

Ca: 320 (Red Sea)

380 (Hanna)

400 (Salifert)

Mag: 1440 (Red Sea)

1140 (Salifert)

Didn't test pH, or phosphates. Maybe next time.

3 minutes ago, box209 said:

What was your SG

After I posted I seen I was missing that. Didn't think anyone would notice...

Wouldn't notice?! We're not that big a losers. I love that you ran the tests with three different kits. Were any of the kits expired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, planecrazy said:

Wouldn't notice?! We're not that big a losers. I love that you ran the tests with three different kits. Were any of the kits expired?

It's the attention to details right? Hahaha. The only kit that was out of code by a couple months was the Red Sea Ca kit. Possibly the reason for the low read? I was tempted to retest a second time with the same kits and same water but I was testing my tank at the same time. A total of 16 tests.