MisterReefer

Is it safe to frag this coral frag?

After doing some research online, I believe this frag is a Blastomussa Merletti because of its cylinder-like skeleton.

It has about five heads and is still glued to a plug.

People online say to use a hammer and chisel, or a Dremel. I never fragged a coral before, but I think I have the tools needed to do it.

Is it safe to frag this blasto? If so, can anyone draw cut lines on the retracted blasto picture?

post-676-0-22442000-1397590928_thumb.jpg

post-676-0-56607500-1397590929_thumb.jpg

It is a blasto. You can use a dremel to cut between the heads. I'd recommend buying a diamond cutting disk for the dremel. Kinda pricey but I've been using my diamond bit for 1.5 years and it's still got life left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Jess on that one. I've got one that looks the same, the heads are about twice the size and I'm still holding off a bit before fragging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. While waiting for it to grow out, should I remount it on live rock or keep it on the plug and just wedge it somewhere on the rock?

If you plan on fragging it I would leave it alone on the plug then once you do frag it glue a piece to the rock so it can grow and use the other one to grow out more frags

I agree leave a head or 2 on the plug for propagation and mount what you want to keep to the rocks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Holy crap, I didn't know I posted this in 2014! The colony is over three years old!! So if I didn't get the frag at the 2014 Reefapalooza in the OC, I must have gotten it at a small show in Hayward, CA 2014.

I'm still trying to figure out how to frag this thing! Hahaha! It's still on a plug, but I think some polyps attached themselves to the live rock.

Check out the growth!!! I counted about 20 heads!

But damn, 3 years! there should be way more heads right!!?

i-WtFJs8H-M.jpg

i-N29vCfc-S.jpg

Edited by MisterReefer

7 hours ago, MisterReefer said:

Holy crap, I didn't know I posted this in 2014! The colony is over three years old!! So if I didn't get the frag at the 2014 Reefapalooza in the OC, I must have gotten it at a small show in Hayward, CA 2014.

I'm still trying to figure out how to frag this thing! Hahaha! It's still on a plug, but I think some polyps attached themselves to the live rock.

Check out the growth!!! I counted about 20 heads!

But damn, 3 years! there should be way more heads right!!?

i-WtFJs8H-M.jpg

i-N29vCfc-S.jpg

I would find someone that has a ban saw. Easier to cut around the heads. Personally I would leave it the way it is. Very nice piece. 

On 8/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, ROOTS said:

The club does. I don't think it is in the best shape. 

That's not good:(

On 8/10/2017 at 6:25 PM, GrizFyrFyter said:

I plan on getting an Inland saw in the next six months when I set up the frag tank. Members will have access but that doesn't help right now....

I assume your looking to cut it for the grow out contest ;)

Oh cool!! hehe, I was just interested it fragging one polyp to bring to the BBQ for the swap!