wip

can Ich Spread....

Hey guys,

I have two reef tanks that share one Sump.  Currently only my main display tank has fish and they are very healthy and have been together for a couple years now.  

The 2nd tank that shares the sump is just a frag tank, but I was thinking of adding a few fish to it someday.  

What I was wondering is if I purchased a couple of fish and they happen to have ich or other diseases could that end up spreading over to my main display tank via the sump water being shared.  

If there is a concern I will continue to quarantine new fish in my nano before placing them in the frag tank.  Just did not know if that was necessary.  As I normally dont quarantine the first fish I purchase for a tank that has none.

Thanks

Edited by wip

Yeah, without a strong uv sterilizer I would say it is really likely to spread

Thanks Guys.  Good to know.   Maybe its time to invest into a UV then..

The uv would have to go on the line returning to the frag tank if that is your quarantine as well...

Your tank already has ich in it. Your fish are just healthy enough to not show signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you introduce sand, coral, inverts or fish, it may all have a chance of carrying the ich parasite. The only thing is it can't host ich. It will free float around the tank until it finds a suitable host and do its thing. UV sterilizer a only work to kill the free floating parasite, not that is already on the fish. It is also up for debate if it sterilizes or just kills the parasites. Either way it's been known to make the water column clearer. Like mentioned above, ich is most likely present in your tank, just keep happy healthy fish and you won't have any bad dealings. It's the other stuff that's more concerning.