Frank Rivera

Newbies beware Coralgasm.com or their facebook page

As I scroll through my facebook feed any suggested page that has to do with our hobby I add. Coralgasm was one of them. I saw a post of theirs pop up on my wall so I looked at it and was appalled. This site is preying on new comers to the Bobbie their prices are ridiculously inflated as well as their shipping.

This was the offered "special" they had going on

2 eagle eye zoas

2 heads of red non aussie acan

2 red mushrooms

2 blue mushrooms

2 ricordia mushrooms

And a gsp frag

For this package they wanted $150 with shipping included which was $60

Is it just me or is $90 with $60 shipping quite steep for this package?

When I called them out on it my comments were deleted.......... so I comment bombed them with about 6 seperate comments which stated their unfair pricing and that I felt as if they were preying on beginners as no experienced reef keeper would pay those ridiculous prices and finally that they could feel free to delete my comments as they had previously as I would just yelp their business where they will not be able to delete the negative feedback

This really pushed my buttons so I wanted to make it known

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I feel like you Handled that one really bad. If you don't like some ones prices just move on. Shipping alone would cost them $50 if they were shipping it across the country plus the packaging. I would never buy that package but I have spent more for less.

You are going to post a bad comment on yelp after never even doing business with a company? That is not right.

I've met those guys in person at max. They are good guys and had decent prices. Most retailers online sell frags at super high prices. Check around and see for yourself. $50-60bucks for overnight shipping from the East coast is normal. Why the hate on just them? I've seen plenty of other places selling no name zoa packs or acro packs for $150 easy. It dosen't mean many people buy them. 

In our area we have access to lots of coral, but if your in the middle of nowhere that $150 frag pack would look a lot better.

Shipping cost is the hardest part of a online Purchase for me. I rather spend more and get to the free shipping mark than pay an extra 50-60.

But that is typically the going rate for 95% of online vendors.

As far as the selection of coral it's an easy starter pack with some pretty easy corals to care for. Great for a beginner.

I loose my AZZ shipping most of the times. If i ship overnight to florida 1030 delivery i pay fedex/ups roughly 90 dollars. Just remember common corals in Cali isnt common corals elsewhere. I see our $5 pink and golds sell for $15 -20 bucks elsewhere when traveling when colored up properly!!

The folks at coralgasm are actually really down to earth and pretty well priced, sorry you felt the need. I wish you would use that pent up energy and attack vendors that PHOTOCHOP so bad it looks like an alien coral glowing from a dip in uranium!

Edited by DiabloCorals

Just remember common corals in Cali isnt common corals elsewhere. I see our $5 pink and golds sell for $15 -20 bucks elsewhere when traveling when colored up properly!!

This is really true. I usually end up going to "coral" shops when I travel and I have been some places that specialize in coral and I have a better selection in my wife's 14 gallon tank than they do in their whole store. We really get spoiled by our proximity to great vendors and products as well as being in some of the major shipping lanes. Tons of corals go through California before dispersing to the rest of the country so we really get spoiled...

Honestly, if you don't like the price move on.  People just don't realize the cost to run a business.  And please don't leave them a negative review on yelp, bad enough you are spamming them on Facebook.  Everyone gotta to feed there family. 

Unfortunately, as others have said, those kinds of prices are regarded as acceptable. Fwiw I too am disgusted by many vendors and the typical online prices.

I think people were quick to join in, telling you that your wrong, and that's quite a shame. Personally, I appreciate you going out of your way to give a heads up to beginners.

It's not a crime to have an opinion and it takes a special person to go one step further and even try to help others.

Pricing seems a bit much until you break it down

2 eagle eye zoas $5
2 heads of red non aussie acan $20
2 red mushrooms $10
2 blue mushrooms $10
2 ricordia mushrooms $15 ish each
And a gsp frag $5-10

So $70 on the low end $20 more from a retailer isn't really all that over priced.

I have to agree with everyone else on this one. Not liking someones pricing is one thing but accusing them of preying on newbies is really out of line IMO. I"ve met these guys and have to say they are some of the nicest people I've ever met and very generous as well when I was the President of CVR they donated all of the corals left after MAX to the club literally thousands of dollars worth of high end corals. People need to keep in mind comments like these can really hurt a small business in the long run.

Dogpile!!!! Lmao oh and Be sure and tell him your opinion about his opinion. Ha

I have to agree with everyone else on this one. Not liking someones pricing is one thing but accusing them of preying on newbies is really out of line IMO. I"ve met these guys and have to say they are some of the nicest people I've ever met and very generous as well when I was the President of CVR they donated all of the corals left after MAX to the club literally thousands of dollars worth of high end corals. People need to keep in mind comments like these can really hurt a small business in the long run.

+1!! If you don't like the price don't buy it.... Not like they were misrepresenting what they were selling and for how much

Unfortunately, as others have said, those kinds of prices are regarded as acceptable. Fwiw I too am disgusted by many vendors and the typical online prices.

I think people were quick to join in, telling you that your wrong, and that's quite a shame. Personally, I appreciate you going out of your way to give a heads up to beginners.

It's not a crime to have an opinion and it takes a special person to go one step further and even try to help others.

I guess I could have just gone with a "hi five dude, way to bash a company you aren't even a customer of online and on yelp."

Problem is once you have actually met a person and know they are a decent human its harder to just sit back on stuff like this.

I know the op is trying to do good and help. It is what it is. Somebody start a new topic we can all flame on. :)

I feel the op had good intentions on helping his fellow hobbyists but, flaming a business for the price they put corals is not the best thing to do. I agree some of these prices are bonkers but that is because we are used to such "low" prices on the west coast at the end of the day we are all entitled to our own opinions and we are also entitled on how much we want to sell coral for.

And with that this thread is closed...

Happy reefing everyone :)

now get back to work ;)