To start off this is less a build more of a rebuild I've had the tank set up for a few months and was woefully ignorant in regards to saltwater though I have learned a lot since first starting

The original plan was to go completely FO and have just a couple fish with my faux coral insert I did that I cycled it and everything added a pair of damsels (because I though they were beautiful and now I can't wait for their deaths lol) well I was riddled with problems and began to do more research I made the move to get some live rock and I'm still very under what I need about a month after I got my live rock (late september) I was given a dwarf green spotted puffer as a gift and a cheap Zoa colony they are doing fine but now that I have money I'm planning on remedying my mistakes from earlier

Tuesday I am going to the store and I will be getting some dry base rock and completely getting rid of the faux coral t he plan is also to get a pair of clownfish and a few cheap (learning curve) corals my tank is actually really stable and my parameters are perfect so I think I should be alright if I could I would wait but given that I'm a mostly broke college student if I don't get this stuff now I don't know when I will be able to

I am by no means a saltwater expert and I did go in blind but I'm trying to fix that if anyone has some suggestions feel free (besides get rid of the damsels I've tried everything)

Welcome to the club!

If you want to be rid of the damsels I suggest doing it when you take out your coral inserts so much easier when there is no place for then to hide

I've taken out the insert the evil things are just too fast and I get tired faster than they do I thought African cichlids were bad these guys are something from the pits of hel

I had to remove my rock and drain all but 3inches of water to catchy old damsels they weren't going easily. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kinda glad it's not just me that has issues catching them. I've got an idea that I'll test. Nori they love it and will take it from my hand so maybe I can scoop one that way

What I've done when I have to get a fast fish is use one large net to catch and one smaller one that the fish would still fit in to chase/trick them. Takes a little patience some times as I'm usually working around things but should be cake in an empty tank.

One sleeps behind the heater and I can never find the other at night I will have to try the mirror idea on Tuesday when I get home (I'm visiting my mother in Oklahoma so my dad has been taking care of the tanks for the past 3weeks under my careful instruction)

Edited by Bradley Pultz

Update on the damsel situation. After literally taking everything out I managed to catch one of the damsels(the worse one). He currently is residing in the chamber of of HOB filter so I can remove him easily That will be his home till Friday. I got a torch coral with two heads today and a strawberry dottyback(wasn't planned but it was on sale and its tiny)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

New additions and some more rock. I used dry rock cause I don't wanna cycle

It actually isolated and if it get to be a hassle I have no issues replacing the rock its on

But I also don't have very many corals and only one is near it and that's my torch coral so it can grow for now and I'm not concerned

Posted ImagePosted Image

Got a royal gramma and a clownfish pair. The gramma was free and since I'm on top of my water quality I figured it couldn't hurt since I'm rid of one damsel

He's proving to be one of the more interesting additions he's got a lot of personality and likes to hide in a little hole with his head out and darts in and out. He brings a lot of colour to the tank which is really nice especially considering I didn't have to pay for him