GVK

Gina's Build - miracles do happen

I really hate filter socks so I didn't incorporate one either. I do like zero maintenance on my tanks once they're set up and a filter sock just blows that.

Left to right...

Return pump, skimmer chamber (I took it out so you could see the plumbing for the pic), and refugium.

Matching? Purely by accident.

Oh, and thanks. It was a huge accomplishment for me since PVC glue and I don't get along. There is a little corner drain box in the fuge that I could out a sock in if I ever so desired. The purpose of the little box is just to not have the sand blow away.

Very cool! So the fuge is running a DSB? Gonna add some Chaeto in there? I love the box in the corner.

Which slimmer are you going to run? Progress is looking great! PVC glue and I don't do well either. I've learned to use the prime, and take it slow in the years. So far I haven't found any salt creep from my plumbing so I guess that's a sign of all the bonds sealing correctly :)

Plumbing done! Well almost, Monday the locline comes and I can plumb the in tank return then do a leak test.

Forgive the dirty sump. It's been leak tested once already with unwashed sand in it. Yuck!

d88a79a1.jpg

About Damn Time!!!!!!! Good stuff ms Gina. Now we need some tank shots

I got the rest of the plumbing parts today. Never been so excited to run home and plumb something. This work thing stinks sometimes.

Ryan, I have a Bubble Magnus NAC7 I think. Bought it a long time ago. Ehiem 1260 return pump. I prefer low flow in my sumps. Yes, the refugium is a deep sand bed and will have cheato once I get some salt water in there. I will be looking for a clean source of the cheato. Need to to another treatment on my main tank before I trust anything enough to be moved to the new tank.

Yep, it's on the full siphon part of he herbie drain. The unrestricted drain is the durso, "safety" drain.

Leak tested last night. I hadn't tightened the bulkheads enough so that was a mess until I could find a tool that could get way back in the corner. The tank needs a little leveling and I think I want more support under the sump shelf. the 3/4" plywood was giving a little more than I would like.

Absolutely silent. The only noise I can hear is a low hum from the pump.

The good news is that the plywood on the sump shelf wasn't bowing. The whole shelf is a little unlevel. I'll drain and shim it a little. The tank being unlevel makes less than an 1/8. Difference in the water level from front to back. I'm debating whether to even mess with it. Thoughts?

Level it now, otherwise you will be looking at it asking yourself why you didn't when you had the chance. You will be the only one to notice it, and it will drive you crazy.

Level it. I just set up my 135g and there isnt even a 1/16" difference from one end to the other, but the overflow on the low side drains about 75% of the water to the sump.

You do know I was looking for the easy way out? Oh well, lots of leveling fun the next couple of days.

Tank and sump leveled. Filled with saltwater. Sand in place. 24 hours later and I still can't see a thing in there. I even rinsed the sand this time around. I'll not bore you with muddy tank pics.

Gina, you have any powerheads in there? If not, get em in and get that water moving, it will clear up faster for you.

But it still looks good girl. Can't wait to see it come to life.

Power heads, pump, everything going. I even put in a despised filter sock to grab some of it. The funny thing is that I have never rinsed my sand, always just dumped it in. The one time I do rinse it, it's taking twice as long to clear up.

To humor Wade and Jeff....

cf1637a5.jpg

LOVE IT! Your build thread started to look like a unicorn mythical and probably not real. Glad to see your tank has water in it. How long before it has lights???

Yes, it's clear. Just trying to get the salinity right so I can at least dump one piece of live rock in before the weekend since I won't be around to work on aquascaping. Got to get that cycle started!

Not hugely exciting, but we have life! Yes Jeff, I will write this in my little "tank diary" as you call it.

f878ce67.jpg

Oh, and to whomever left the silicone hot pad at the Christmas party. Thank you, it's now under my pump making it even quieter.