GVK

Gina's Build - miracles do happen

I have to agree with Mike. When I upgrade I am stealing that design for sure! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Gina setup looks like she bought it from IKEA. Iike a great piece furniture the real question is when are your gettin the canopy????? And yes she has a tank diary

looks like she bought it from IKEA. Iike a great piece furniture

That is an oxymoron!

Thanks everyone. Today I put the rest of the rock in. My fingers are cut up but it felt like a huge accomplishment. Here's a cruddy cell phone pic. I'm not sure how I feel about the aquascaping so comments are welcome. The being really able to see the side from the kitchen made it a bit more challenging. I usually don't pay that much attention to the sides. Then again, I never had this kind of depth in a tank. The lights are just temps.

fa5ac4c7.jpg

your rock work is great! Looks very nice.

U might want to open up the rockwork a little to allow more flow and maybe lower a bit depending on what you want to keep. Is there room in the back of the tank to get at fish or clean the back wall? Could be more room on the left between rock and glass to get at corals or to clean the glass.

Looks good Gina. Keep up the good work!

Scott

I'm going to keep this clean. Let's just say I'm very annoyed. Turned on the lights a bit early only to discover my rock work covered in glass anemones. The rock work will be taking a trip outside for a few days. I so lovingly kept this stuff alive over the last few months. Could have saved the electricity and just stashed it in the garage. I had just decided I liked the rock work and was going to leave it the way it is too. Arg. One step forward, two steps back.

And the real tragedy of the morning.....I now have a Paula Abdul song stuck in my head.

Edited by GVK

Or, get some peppermint shrimp and/or butterfly fish and let them go at the anemones? Just saying...

I've never had shrip completely control anemones and since the tank is cycling, I don't think a fish would work. I'm open to ideas but I think I might be better off really taking care of the problem before I get too far into this.

The dead rock look is rough, but at least you know you won't have any pests. I cooked my dead rock in acid so the rock was particulally white but eventually it covers in corraline algae and looks better. Takes weeks/months though. I wear leather welding gloves now when I handle rock cuz I'm tired of chewing up my hands. No matter how careful you are there is always that tube worm you miss and you get poked or cut. Keep posting pics Gina. Can't believe you are finally building the Big One.

Sorry to hear about the evil nems Gina. I would go with the pulling out the rocks and drying out. If there are a few rocks without nems just keep those as seeding rock. It won't take that long to get the coraline back. Easier to fix it now then down the line.

Just pull it and boil it. That will kill the rock and everything on it. I think that the purple will remain as well.

Won't just setting it outside for a couple days do the same thing? Mind you without the nastiness of boiling it in my house.

These little buggers are completely clear except the white tips when they're out. I know where they are and I can't see them at all. I don't trust any of the rock now. I seeded the sand from my work tank so that will have to be enough. I'll probably scrape some coralline and bring it home too.

Sorry to hear this Gina!

I think the best way would to boil it or dip in acid. Drying out will kill it but I swear those things come back.

Lucky for you it is summer in the Valley so you should be able to let the rock dry out for a couple of weeks in the 100+ deg weather and that should kill pretty much everything. Like Mike said those things are nasty and if any tissue remains it could grow back. If you could powerwash or quick rinse in pool acid would definitely go a long way to get ride any remaining organic matter.

Won't just setting it outside for a couple days do the same thing? Mind you without the nastiness of boiling it in my house.

These little buggers are completely clear except the white tips when they're out. I know where they are and I can't see them at all. I don't trust any of the rock now. I seeded the sand from my work tank so that will have to be enough. I'll probably scrape some coralline and bring it home too.

Use a camping stove out in the back yard.

So here it is as of this afternoon. Went outside last night. I'm not sure you can see all the flies in the pic. I think when I put it back in the tank I may end up with some rare maggotpods.

fe495650.jpg

Bummer on the Aptasia... I hate those darn things too! Other than that everything looked GREAT! Keep up the great work.