GVK

Gina's Build - miracles do happen

I have a gallon of pool acid if you need or want it (and baking soda).

Edited by plankton

Thanks everyone.

Scott, I decided to just leave it outside but thanks for the offer.

Right now I'm super frustrated because I can't get the rock looking the way I want. Better get back to it.

Since you posted a picture of your rock work the way you had it then in theory you hopefully can find the pieces and put them back in the right spot. I know easer said than done. Good luck!

Scott, that was the theory I was working on. I even kept the two piles in two separate totes so I could get it back together easily. Best laid plans....that did not work out.

Finally got it together around 9:30 tonight after working on it on and off all day. I thought stacking rock was supposed to be zen and calming. Swear words, screaming, and nashing of teeth seemed to be the result here. Going to let it settle and reevaluate in the morning.

Scott, that was the theory I was working on. I even kept the two piles in two separate totes so I could get it back together easily. Best laid plans....that did not work out.

Finally got it together around 9:30 tonight after working on it on and off all day. I thought stacking rock was supposed to be zen and calming. Swear words, screaming, and nashing of teeth seemed to be the result here. Going to let it settle and reevaluate in the morning.

Those should have been the words when you had to pull it all out

Maybe I just have a potty mouth.

"Sweet" Wade? Not an adjective used to desribe me often, but since you asked nice....

Sorry about all the glare. Need to get out the real camera and take the pics at night. It's not as open as the last incarnation was but I think it will work.

716e3679.jpg

03d2c1aa.jpg

Tank is looking good Gina. Did you figure out what lights your going to use. And wade she is right she's like the reverse sour patch kid "sweet THEN sour"

Very nice Sweet Gina. In fact, I like this one better than the first cuz the diagonal, off center path between the two islands gives the whole thing more depth. Nicely done.

Very nice Sweet Gina. In fact, I like this one better than the first cuz the diagonal, off center path between the two islands gives the whole thing more depth. Nicely done.

+1 Looks great Gina! Like the new aquascape even better!

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it's smooth sailing for a while now.

You all laugh. I might just have to bring out the sour a little more around you all.

I tested for the first time yesterday. I think it's been back together with the dead rock for two weeks. I only tested ammonia and nitrites thinking that's where I would be in the cycle but got 0 on both. It's had a nice diatom bloom going and the green algae is starting. I need to do the nitrate test tonight. I'm thinking the cycle never started. I put some krill in there and have been "feeding" the tank regularly with frozen food and flake. I haven't put the skimmer in yet. I'm going to get a nice fat shrimp to dump in there and bring home some more sand from the work tank to help seed it. All the sand I put in there was dry so I'm thinking of ordering one bag of live sand just to jump start it faster than the cup of sand I bring home will. Thoughts?

For my tank I added a cube of mysis, a scoop of sand from my bc to the display and a scoop to the sump, put 2 small pieces of liverock and chaeto in the sump, and dosed MB7 a couple to times. I think it took 4 weeks to fully cycle.

I've put in at least the equivalent of 20 cubes of mysis. The live rock was in there for a week before I pulled it out, so I'm sure there was some bacteria that seeded the tank. Before I pulled the rock out, the ammonia was going up. The cheato is growing like nuts. Maybe it cycled?

First step is probably to get a new test kit. I realized the one I'm using is from my first tank in 2001. Probably not the most reliable.

What the heck is MB7?

What the heck is MB7?

One of those miracle products to speed up the cycle of your aquarium. Basically I guess it provides the beneficial bacteria. :unknw:

And if your chaeto is growing, that means you have nitrates

If your chaeto is dark green and growing then you have sufficient light and nutrients. When it starts getting pale green or stops growing you don't have enough light or your nutrients are starting to wane (iron, N, P, etc). I'd buy or borrow some new test kits Gina before you put any live stock in your tank just to be on the sale side. For a new tank I'd expect a little nitrite then nitrate build up - totally normal.