Ryan M

Ryan M's SC Aquariums 100

After a 3 year hiatus, I'm back with a new build. The tank is currently cycling with fish and corals in QT. I'll try and update this thread as much as possible and I know everyone loves pictures! So my build/progression will be picture heavy. Questions, comments? Feel free to post away :) 

Setup:

• Eurobraced SC Aquariums 48x24x20" tank with Starfire 1/2" glass. PVC plumbed utilizing the Herbie Overflow Method
  • Skimz UP34 Sump

Lighting:

• ATI 48" 6 Bulb PowerModul

Current bulb lineup from front to back

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Actinic

AquaticLife 14k

AT Blue Plus

ATI Purple Plus

ATI Blue Plus

Water movement:

• (x2) Ecotech Vortech MP40QD
  • Eheim 1262

Filtration:

• SeaSide Aquatics CS8 Skimmer
  • (x2) Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Reactors
  • Skimz EL-S300 & Skimz EL-L300 filter socks

Stability:

• Tunze Osmolator 5017 ATO
  • Bubble Magus T1 Dosing System
  • (x2) Eheim Jager 150 Watt Heaters
  • Reef Keeper Lite

C7E50D11-7D1E-4909-9065-92E2C47E55D8_zps

0F606FFB-2248-4DA2-B793-4DA5DC957148_zps

A3CACEB7-2631-4F13-8249-1EFD9CB8FC6E_zps

D5AD0EE1-6C3E-4E2A-857B-B9CEC61D10D9_zps

81812328-FA61-4C20-8801-F7102F36AD01_zps

07D2B1C9-E03D-4AE4-B34F-4ADF75027F19_zps

Welcome back to having a Reef tank. Looking forward to seeing what you put into to it. Nice equipment to start it off with as well.

Vary nice Ryan. It's great to see you back in the game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Braver69 said:

Welcome back to having a Reef tank. Looking forward to seeing what you put into to it. Nice equipment to start it off with as well.

Thanks Keith. I really thought this build out. Been hoarding equipment for the last year. 

11 minutes ago, poolman said:

Thanks brotha man! There's so many nice corals out there now. Too many to keep track of. Hopefully I can get a couple gems in the tank.

Thanks Keith. I really thought this build out. Been hoarding equipment for the last year. 

Thanks brotha man! There's so many nice corals out there now. Too many to keep track of. Hopefully I can get a couple gems in the tank.

About time you get that tank wet. Welcome back brotha

1 hour ago, Will846 said:

About time you get that tank wet. Welcome back brotha

Yes! It was a long episode but after breaking the original tank changing my mind a million times on what I was going to do. It's finally going. Couldn't be any happier with the end result. 

8 minutes ago, Pumped said:

Everything looks clean man. Can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks Sal! Once I started going back on the forum, hitting swaps/events, and texting everyone. It was in no time I would get the itch again. Now, here we are lol.

3 minutes ago, Pumped said:

How are you cycling the tank? Running carbon and gfo in the reactors?

The tank actually cycled in 3 days. Tried the fish less cycle this time around and it really works! I may have gone over board but I used Dr. Tims One and Only, Instant Ocean Bio-Spira and Brightwell Micronacter 7 with Dr. Tims Ammonia Chloride to kick start everything.

Within half the day ammonia dropped to half. Next day it was fully dropped. Added more ammonia to check and it dropped a day afterwards. Letting the tank sit a few more days and I'll do a 40% water change to ensure I'm good.

Carbon in the reactor running to remove any contaminates in the tank from the initial setup. PVC glue, Krylon sprayed parts, oil from my hands, new equipment, etc. Want a clean slate before fish and coral transfer from QT. 

Looks great Ryan! Can't wait for you to fill it in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah! The man, the myth and the legend back in business! Nice set up Ryan, so clean and quiet. I love the command center and it's so quiet. And did I mention how quiet this tank is?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, wright4941 said:

Looks great Ryan! Can't wait for you to fill it in!

Thank you so much Julie! Yes, I'm looking forward to it as well. Looks like a few of us have new builds. It'll be cool to see the tanks grow it in the next couple years. :)

6 hours ago, planecrazy said:

Oh yeah! The man, the myth and the legend back in business! Nice set up Ryan, so clean and quiet. I love the command center and it's so quiet. And did I mention how quiet this tank is?!

Hahahaha oh stop that! Thank you for the kind words Brandon. Definitely took notes from your build and others as well. In the years, I've become quite the fan of under tank details as well. The command center is my favorite part. Super easy to access from the outside and reduces the chance of salt spray hitting the controllers. 

For reals! I'm blown away at how quiet (or silent for that matter) this tank is. The skimmer is really the only noise you hear from the tank. I'm completely sold on the Herbie Overflow method. 

2 minutes ago, Arron said:

Lookin' good bro. Can't wait till this thing fills up!

What?!!! Wuddup Arron?! Long time no see here. Glad you came by and dropped some love on the thread. Man, you already know I'm going to get this thing popping.

10 minutes ago, Pumped said:

After looking at your sumps, man my sump looks boring!

Man...staring at white rocks is probably more boring. I need some dang color already ?

12 minutes ago, Pumped said:

When are you adding corals? 

In a few weeks. I want to get the tank dialed in before I start moving things over.

Added a few Lyretail Anthias last week after their QT treatment. 5 females and 1 male. Super active fish with nice color pop. Sorta hard to photograph all of them at once, but was able to snap a couple pics the other day.

Shot under an ATI True Actinic and ATI Purple Plus using a Canon 6D with 24-70L lens at f/2.8.

F70F0CDB-35E5-4A33-933D-1F752B01CA9E_zps

692B71D5-F0A2-4BBB-8853-87C3AECC2987_zps

2 hours ago, Pumped said:

Nice fish and pics! 

Thanks Sal! Can't wait until the other fish make it to the tank. All in due time...

Nice fish bro! Gotta have a harem of females nomsayain. 

17 hours ago, simbarocks43 said:

Whats your qt and how long do you run it?

My buddy @JoshuaG does the fish QT for me for a small fee and release of liability. I believe the method he uses is the TTM method to rid of ich. While doing the TTM method he also treats for internal and external parasites using a barrage of different medications. 

As for the corals, I dip heavily upon coral arrival and use a holding tank to observe frags for hitchhikers and other known pests. So far it's worked as not even the best dip practices eliminates all hitchhikers. But the holding/QT is a great way to check on things before making the transfer to the display tank.