el_ote

el_ote's 10 Gallon Revival

From an original tank of 5.5 gallons to 10, 20, & 40, I'm back to a 10 gallon.

11-3-18

20181103_164200_zpsnl3nwne4.jpg

Equipment:

• 10 Gallon Standard Tank
  • SB Reef Lights Nano Sprite
  • Aquaclear 110 impeller chopped,
  • ChemiPure Blue 
  • Koralia Nano
  • Jester6 Lucky13 Frag Rock
  • MarinePure Cubes (12)

Fish:

• 1 Clownfish
  • 1 Bicolor Blenny

Inverts:

• 1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp
  • 1 Fire Shrimp
  • 1 Squat Lobster
  • 1 Halloween Hermit Crab
  • 2 Emerald Crabs
  • 1 Hermit crab
  • 1 Red Bubble Tip Anemone

Corals:

• Zoas and Palys
  • ClovePolyps
  • GreenStar Polyps
  • Orange Ric looking Mushroom

Thanks for stopping by.

10-16-18

20181016_211925_zpsvt5bddmy.jpg

Edited by el_ote

Awesome! Welcome back. With some TLC you'll get that 10 gallon looking nice. Nice to see you back on the forums :)

Thanks Ryan. Yeah I'm going to be watching this tank carefully. I'm planning on documenting better what im doing to better find any mistakes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

20160810_215844_zpsw9avtqkn.jpg

Here's the tank with sand. i also added a CurrentUSA TrueLumen Pro Deepwater Actinic Blue 12" strip to my small t5ho. I love the colors. the mushrooms look like they're liking it as well.

I added an ATO via an AquaLifter and a timer set for 2 minutes twice a day. I'm basically getting ready for a kalk dosing once i get a more visually appealing container and some alk/ca hungry corals!

Newly Set-up:

20160731_134748_zps7jutna3q.jpg

1st tank inhabitants

20160731_162625_zpsydnpfopk.jpg

20160731_162618_zpsoxmvgjzy.jpg

Hi all, been a while. Here's an update on my tank. Lots of ups and downs. Had a heater failure earlier this year and i onky had one of my clowns survive. It was pretty much on autopilot fir the past few months trying to just change the water enough.

Recently i got back into the groove, plucking lots of GHA and doing good regular waterchanges. I have some chemipure blue in my ac110 and got my little jebao powerhead back to working.

I'm thinking of upgrading my lights...cheaply tho. I have my eyes on either the Aquamaxx Nemo Light or the ReefBreeders Nano Light Touch. I have a small 20w two bulb t5ho fixture, but im not sure if i should replace the bulbs since it may not be strong enough for the 10.

My plans are to keep the clown and add maybe a yellow watchman pistol combo and inverts with some Aqua SD frags.

Anywhoo, just a lil update. I'll post a pick to a quick edit.

20170912_214351_zpsbaglis9h.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

How old are your bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have at least a years worth of use on them, probably more. i am leaning towards the Nano Light Touch unit as it has more wattage than the Aquamaxx, but the built in Aquamaxx features are impressive.

I have one of the 12" TrueLumen Pro actinic strips and am also considering buying the 50/50 and the splitter. Im not sure if I'd need another actinic. that would be (3) 12" strips. I like the color, but want ro get good growth and im just not sure... permanently confusuled wirh the options...

OK, as per my usual MO, I thought and thought and thought, then something shiny came up and I said what the heck. I haven't seen to many of these around, but a quick google search found me a few people liking the lights so i went ahead and bought the SBReefs Nano Sprite LED fixture. I will probably get it late next week if their estimated ship time is accurate (hopefully earlier). I also bought their Pod Hotel for the tank at my office. 

:D

Edited by el_ote

OK, as per my usual MO, I thought and thought and thought, then something shiny came up and I said what the heck. I haven't seen to many of these around, but a quick google search found me a few people liking the lights so i went ahead and bought the SBReefs Nano Sprite LED fixture. I will probably get it late next week if their estimated ship time is accurate (hopefully earlier). I also bought their Pod Hotel for the tank at my office. 

Nice. Can’t wait to see how you and your tank likes it. I read the description on it and sounds like a solid fixture.

20170925_141621_zpsvqdfwwom.jpg

20170925_141728_zpshrjikq16.jpg

Ok, while feeding the office tank i found this guy just out on a rock. does it look like a gorilla crab? also, could this guy be the culprit to a few fishie disappearances? it looks pretty solid, not like a molt, but with my luck, it probably is just a molt and he's in there somewhere... any advice?!?!

his body/molt is in a fw cup for now...

Edit: ok, flipping him over i saw his escape flap in the back. pretty sure its just a molt. any ideas on how to catch him?

On 9/25/2017 at 2:35 PM, el_ote said:

20170925_141621_zpsvqdfwwom.jpg

20170925_141728_zpshrjikq16.jpg

Ok, while feeding the office tank i found this guy just out on a rock. does it look like a gorilla crab? also, could this guy be the culprit to a few fishie disappearances? it looks pretty solid, not like a molt, but with my luck, it probably is just a molt and he's in there somewhere... any advice?!?!

his body/molt is in a fw cup for now...

Edit: ok, flipping him over i saw his escape flap in the back. pretty sure its just a molt. any ideas on how to catch him?

Personally I wouldn't risk it. If you can and have the time, I would look for it and take it out of your tank. 

yeah, i left the crab trap overnight... its our office tank at work and ive never seen the crab during daytime hours so he hides pretty well. i hope to come in tomorrow to an angry crab in the trap

29 minutes ago, el_ote said:

yeah, i left the crab trap overnight... its our office tank at work and ive never seen the crab during daytime hours so he hides pretty well. i hope to come in tomorrow to an angry crab in the trap

Hopefully you guys catch it. Did you bait the trap. 

yeah, used krill ive had in the freezer for a while. the boss said she saw a snail in there after i left... crabs prolly gonna have a second snack after the kirlls gone

Two nights of krill in the trap and only caught that dang nassarius... I'll try again Monday night.
Also, no sign of my SB Reefs light yet... i got the pod hotel, hope my light comes soon...
Stopped off at Aquatic Collections on my way home and picked up a Hi-fin Goby and Randall's pistol shrimp. Both are super tiny and hiding in a little cave at the front of my tank, I'll try and snag a pic once they pop out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tank at the office. took some work to clean it up.
20171005_154214_zpsvj7wsigo.jpg
There was a heater failure that basically nuked everything. i have the heater on a ReefKeeper now. once the Razor comes back from having the blue channel seeviced, im going to set up the brs 1.1ml doser for alk along with the return pump and koralia so i can 1 button feed/service. controllers are cool!
LiveStock:
Randalls Goby
Bicolor Dottyback
Flame Angel
Kaudern's Cardinalfish
Red Mandarin (boss' pick I'da waited)
and a Clownfish and Damsel banished to the sump for being too ornery.

I really want a Midas Blenny for the tank!

PS: no word on the dang light... must be held up in customs... Wish SB Reefs would reply at least to the emails, but i have a feeling its happened before and they know itll be a while. luckily ive been using the time to clean out my tank too.

WooHoo... i finally got an email with the tracking number for my SB Reefs light. I'm pretty stoked to get this light. :yahoo: now i can go back to yanking up my GHA and toothbrushing my rocks... that reminds me, i forgot to bring some of my water to test since its been 4 days that i added PhosGuard in an effort to bring my phosphates down from .036 ... which is probably why im plucking so much GHA ... as for the source, i couldn't say. i dont overfeed.

Nice. Cant wait to hear your review on that light.

nope, that crab is still in there... lurking. i've been setting the trap a couple nights a week, but no dice. just that same snail keeps getting trapped. :unknw:

2 hours ago, el_ote said:

nope, that crab is still in there... lurking. i've been setting the trap a couple nights a week, but no dice. just that same snail keeps getting trapped. :unknw:

If you there's a place to set it up on your rock work I would try that.

i tried, but thought it seemed too awkward an angle and not enough footing for it to walk in, but you're probably right. ill try that

You originally said that you weren't sure it was a molt and then that you saw an escape hatch. I would think the biggest give away would be if there were guts inside. Of course they could have been devoured depending on how long it was in there but likely something would be left. Did you ever look inside the shell? Or do you have some other reason to believe it might still be in there?