el_ote

el_ote's 10 Gallon Revival

I did not look inside. that's also a good point. maybe I'll try a night or two more. i actually don't have a reason to believe it is still around. i didn't crack the molt to look for any meat... darn it...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

my light came in! it is strong! i just had a few minutes with it so nothing really to report. i didnt have a hex key to tighten the thumb screws and the way the legs are built, to reach max length, you have to lose one of the two screws and without being able to really tighten them i was afraid of it buckling into my tank. i have egg crate over the tank as a weak jump net and leg stand for my small t5 so im using that as well.

the whites are very powerful, i have to keep it at just on to not drown out my blue channel. blue right now is about 45% for a crisp look. i need to figure how to take better cell phone pics.

Sweet, sounds like your going to be quite happy with this purchase. I have a scary story about lights to share. I have my Kessils hanging by hooks and one day I accidently knocked one off its hook but to my fortune the cover was still on that side of the tank as I was currently working on the other side. Now I make sure to zip tie the hooks on to prevent accidents, but I should replace them with loops. As with everything in this hobby there always needs to be a backup to everything.

An alternative to the egg crate method that I used to use was a piece of acrylic with the middle cut out and a wall built around the edges. This has the same benefit of evaporative cooling as the egg crates, but doesn't need to be removed when feeding and casts less of a shadow. Also during the winter months the opening can be covered with another piece of acrylic to preserve heat.

Can't wait to see some pics. Some techniques to keep in mind is to slightly angle your shots to avoid glare, shoot at night or block out the sunlight, and take a ton of shots because some of them have to turn out alright.

just put in an order with John at ReefCleaners for a CUC, my crew has been decimated for so long i cant remember. no wonder i have so much algae, there's nobody to eat it. here's hoping for a hungry set o snails. pics to come once i can get some headway with the algae.
tbe light is strong, very white light heavy. i have to keep it just switched on to 15% at most for it to keep the blue i like.

just put in an order with John at ReefCleaners for a CUC, my crew has been decimated for so long i cant remember. no wonder i have so much algae, there's nobody to eat it. here's hoping for a hungry set o snails. pics to come once i can get some headway with the algae.
tbe light is strong, very white light heavy. i have to keep it just switched on to 15% at most for it to keep the blue i like.

Is the color combo controllable? Which color LEDs come on the fixture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the color combo controllable? Which color LEDs come on the fixture?

Yeah, there are two channels. One whites with a red and the other blues with 3 uv/purple.

20171024_201409_crop_489x318-244x159_zpsw8dsiudj.jpg

The blues have a nice range, but the whites are very overpowering. I'm starting to like the more white look, and i may like it more with some more corals and less algae...

20171024_201418_zpsygmxqlpq.jpg

20171024_201433_zps200cgiev.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Got my phosphate down from .32 to .04. Bought a chemipure blue about a month ago, and refreshed my GFO couple weeks ago and last week added a packet of purigen. I still have tons of algae, but some of it is starting to dry and brown out. I only have some zoas and they aren't reacting to the change.

Got my phosphate down from .32 to .04. Bought a chemipure blue about a month ago, and refreshed my GFO couple weeks ago and last week added a packet of purigen. I still have tons of algae, but some of it is starting to dry and brown out. I only have some zoas and they aren't reacting to the change.

Heads up I think the chemipure blue has purigen in it.

what do you all know about these MarinePure Cubes? im thinking of getting about 5 to add to my AquaClear 110 and having them as pod factories for my tank. Id like to grow cheato in the 110 also, but i have my DIY reactor in there and also want a skimmer in there.
BTW phosphates have been super low (for my tank) at about .04 ppm but the GHA stayed the same. I took out one of my two rocks and sprayed it down with hydrogen peroxide 3% and letting it sit for 3 minutes as per a thread i found on another reef site for nanos a while ago. the gha is REALLY dying off, becoming thin and grey. ill give it some time before i try my second rock. im kinda hesitant since my hifin goby and tiger pistol shrimp hide in the rockwork.

what do you all know about these MarinePure Cubes? im thinking of getting about 5 to add to my AquaClear 110 and having them as pod factories for my tank. Id like to grow cheato in the 110 also, but i have my DIY reactor in there and also want a skimmer in there.
BTW phosphates have been super low (for my tank) at about .04 ppm but the GHA stayed the same. I took out one of my two rocks and sprayed it down with hydrogen peroxide 3% and letting it sit for 3 minutes as per a thread i found on another reef site for nanos a while ago. the gha is REALLY dying off, becoming thin and grey. ill give it some time before i try my second rock. im kinda hesitant since my hifin goby and tiger pistol shrimp hide in the rockwork.

Give it some time. If it’s turning grey I think your on the right track.

Thanks guys, yeah the GHA is wilting away for sure. but, its only doing so on the rock that was sprayed with h2o2. i will wait for the die off to finish before i think about doing my other rock.

I'm pretty stoked to be able to see my rock instead of the dang carpet of algae! there is still a bunch of nice coraline on there even. I'll try to snag a pic this evening of both rocks.

ok so here's a pic of my rock sprayed with h2o2 and a pic of my other rock to show how bad the GHA is/was.
20171118_122744_zps2ao0qsj9.jpg

20171118_122759_zps7h3kxlfi.jpg

Also stopped by Neptunes for some cheato and picked up this little paly. i dont have any orange yet in my tank and it looked really cool there

20171118_122716_zpssbj3fykq.jpg

Neptunes didnt have the little marinepure cubes so i think ima get a few from algaebarn for my 110. wanna see if they can house as many pods as they say... maybe a mandy or scooter in my future...

phosphate still low at .02 ppm.
alk at 7.4 dkh so i upped it to 8.4 by dosing some B-Ionic. id like to keep it at about 8.5 dkh
i went back to Neptunes and picked up a bicolor blenny and a little yellow goby. of course the day after i get the goby in, the little guy gets ich all over... he was toast by morning but my other fish havent caught anything. i shoulda quarantined... now im afraid ive got ich floating around in there. not sure if i totally believe the whole mantra that all fish carry it and it's the stress that weakens them, but i hope so so that my other fish have a shot.
i havent seen my hifin for a couple weeks... kinda worried. i used to seem him dash in and out of the rockwork to snag some food. I'm going to stick with fish i know will work with me from now on...

In my experience Clownfish are extremely territoriality aggressive but only threaten anything at the edge of their territory. The problem is given enough time they will claim everything as their territory if they go uncontested, especially in a nano tank. I personally add Clownfish last to any tank that does not contain truly aggressive mates and would only try adding larger fairly aggressive mates if anything to your tank, which is a non starter to begin with considering nothing larger than a Clownfish is suitable for a nano tank.  Dottybacks are far too aggressive imo, but Grammas might be okay and are probably your best bet, but I would worry about their aggression as well. The only thing I would be comfortable adding would be another Clownfish but definitely get the algae under control before adding anything. It is so hard to recover from an algae outbreak, you don't want to give yourself more obstacles.

Regarding ich, there is a really good pinned thread on ReefCental which covers everything you would ever want to know about it.

I've seen very territorial clownfish, but this guy/gal has never shown any interest in anyone else in her tank. The blenny lives in the rockwork right next to the clownfish with no interaction at all between them. I got lucky with a docile clownfish.
I have had a royal gramma and that guy was VERY shy, i only saw it dart out to eat then back to hiding it went.
I would like another small fish in here, but for now, im pretty satisfied. I'm still holding out hope that the hifin comes out, but im pretty sure he's gone.
Im going to go look for my old 5 gallon tank to turn it into a hyposalinity quarantine tank if i ever get another fish. Here's an updated pic of the tank.
20171203_140446_zpslw0porle.jpg

Great progress in your fight against algae. Shouldn't be long til the algae is gone completely. Regarding the Clownfish, as I said it is my opinion that they can be very problematic in terms of adding new fish. They don't necessarily chase other fish around or act like other aggressive fish, but I think that is part of what makes them deceptive. I mean as you said your other fish hides all day. The biggest reason I believe these things about Clownfish is because it is a very common narrative that people either buy Clownfish first or are left with them after their other fish die off. So I have spoken with countless individuals who have had this issue. But yeah certainly any established fish can be very problematic, it is possible I am biased against Clownfish.

20180106_203303_PerfectlyClear_zpsrf5idlef.jpg

little update. did a 2 gallon water change and replaced my ChemiPure Blue. i think it has really helped my tank out.

I still have a few small GHA patches i keep having to pull. I've been thinking of dosing hydrogen peroxide, but I'm hesitant to dose entire tank even though the threads I've read say its ok.

I want to try to remove and rinse my sand bed to help with nutrient removal. Only thing holding me back is laziness. maybe next weekend. lol

20180106_203312_PerfectlyClear_zpsw6pevedk.jpg

a trio of frags i got recently! Legendary Corals section at a new LFS i found recently, Infinite Aquariums. I like the shop, once they finish stocking the tanks, it'll be a great spot i think.

New Shrimp!

20180307_184404_zps2xgfxlxv.jpg

FTS

20180307_065543_zpsjig8wtye.jpg

20180308_180705_zpscugx7vls.jpg

IMG_20180109_200805_768_zpsd0dlkb52.jpg

I really want a reefkeeper... I keep forgetting my top off pump when I turn it on... Lol dangit... Luckily the tank didn't overflow this time.

I really want a reefkeeper... I keep forgetting my top off pump when I turn it on... Lol dangit... Luckily the tank didn't overflow this time.

I highly recommend an ATO. Makes life so much easier.

I fill my ATO reservoir like every 3-4 days. One item I believe is a must have.

Just a suggestion

I highly recommend an ATO. Makes life so much easier.

I fill my ATO reservoir like every 3-4 days. One item I believe is a must have.

Just a suggestion

Yeah, I have the jbj ato, but the switches never sit high enough in my tank with the lip/lid so the water level is too low. And... I'm afraid of snails sticking the switch resulting in a flood, but I guess it's better than me flooding it myself...
I got used to the RKL and a timer for my top off at the tank at work. I just add or subtract a few seconds to adjust for evap rate

Yeah, I have the jbj ato, but the switches never sit high enough in my tank with the lip/lid so the water level is too low. And... I'm afraid of snails sticking the switch resulting in a flood, but I guess it's better than me flooding it myself...
I got used to the RKL and a timer for my top off at the tank at work. I just add or subtract a few seconds to adjust for evap rate

Oh ok. I gotcha. I’ll keep an eye out and let you know if I see one pop up.

Went ahead and added my jbj ato. It may work better than I hoped since the wp10 wavemaker hasn't set it off. My hope is to have it come on a bit at a time when the wave drops the float switch. Maybe I'll add a drop of glue to the mount to raise the switch as high as I can to keep the level where I want it.