Sign in to follow this  
Quickgraffix

how to check your pH and Alkalinity

The API test kits are pretty cheap and work well as long as you can see color charts well. After that Red Sea test kits work well and will be more accurate then API but are color based as well. Then you have Hanna checkers that are digital and tell you the number vs a color you have to match up. Personally I would go with the API kit, it will serve you well enough as you get your tank ready for nice corals, then you can upgrade it later on when you want better detail.

Digital testers are great if you have a way to use the information. Most reef controllers can be programmed to perform certain tasks based on the PH reading. So for instance if you have a calcium or kalkwasser reactor you can have your controller shut them off automatically before disaster happens. Even better still the best controllers can actually be set up to send you alerts when problems arise. A lot of reef controllers can also have PH probes plugged directly into them and take the readings themselves. The downside is that reef controllers are quite expensive.

Sorry for reviving such old topics, I need to get up to 20 posts so I can give away my sump...lol.

Sorry for reviving such old topics, I need to get up to 20 posts so I can give away my sump...lol.
Lol yea I feel you on the 20 post thing. But yea the red sea test kit has always worked well for me. Even though I have a hard time matching colors. A company called Nyos has a few test kits I am looking at that seem to have an easier to read color chart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Guest GrizFyrFyter

There are smart phone aquarium log apps that will match color for you. Works well.. 

I have a Seachem alk/ph test kit you can have. I'm not using it.