NittyGritty

NittyGritty's 120g Reboot

As promised, here is my reboot/build 120g system.  About 4 years ago we bought our Galt home, moving from Sacramento, and brought my 30x30x30 cube which was 117g and overall a good system.  It did not fit the space in the new home correctly and overtime I realized the tank on stand was much taller than I liked.  So, a fellow reefer in Stockton had posted a new 120g with standard 4x2x2 measurements for sale.  After contacting him, an offer of 2 JB babies brought the tank to my home and my build started.  This was supposed to be a simple build in which I utilized most everything from my previous setup but we all know how that goes.  The unit was previously drilled on the bottom pane for a corner overflow.  I knew that was not going to fly and put some thought into the best way to patch it as I was going to drill this bad boy.  It's euro braced in which I like for multiple reasons and clean as a whistle with a large black, glass trim.  I had a euro braced cube with no trim and the trim covers the bracing from being viewed from the sides and the way to go. 

20161219_205852 (Small).jpg

Edited by NittyGritty

So crazy looking at what you started with to how the tank looks now. A lot of thought into this build trust me lady's and gents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some though I decided to patch the holes with bulkheads and gluing in two plugs, one on each end.  This gives me some insurance in case one of the first plugs fails and begins to leak.  A leak at the bottom pane of a reef tank is one of the worst possible setbacks and one I did not want to experience.   Better safe than sorry!

Edited by NittyGritty

Next I needed a stand.  As being a father of 3 and having a stay home wife, budget reefing is always a priority for me.  So, I reached out to the reefing community to see if anyone had a spare stand.  Well, right down the way my buddy Will (Will846) had one sitting in the garage collecting dust and offered it up.  It was in good shape but needed some love to be legit.  So sanding, patching, priming and painting was in my near future.  Went with a satin black for the outside and white gloss white on the inside.  All exterior paint as it naturally protects against moisture and water.  4 or 5 coats went on after 3 coats of primer.  Ordered some fresh hinges and laid down white yoga mat cut to size on the inside floor.  Gives it a clean, quiet foundation for my sump and equipment. I also installed some wood guides for LED lighting pucks on the outside and to hold a pull out shelf I will be utilizing to house my apex display, controllers and power bricks.

20170120_150215 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170303_130830 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Edited by NittyGritty

Now to think about overflow, drilling and plumbing.  I went with the Shadow overflow by Synergy and decided to plump with the same colorway as spears manifolds to keep it clean.  Red and grey schedule 80.  Drilling was intense mentally but actually went quickly and without to much effort.  Pro Tip: Use fresh diamond glass hole saws for each build! 

Edited by NittyGritty

5 minutes ago, NittyGritty said:

Now to think about overflow, drilling and plumbing.  I went with the Shadow overflow by Synergy and decided to plump with the same colorway as spears manifolds to keep it clean.  Red and grey schedule 80.  Drilling was intense mentally but actually went quickly and without to much effort.  Pro Tip: Use fresh diamond glass hole saws for each build!  After laying down a few coats of black to the back of the tank it was ready to plumb and install my apex shelf.

20170307_124535 (Medium).jpg

20170307_125042 (Medium).jpg

20170312_114910 (Medium).jpg

Nice, I've always wanted to use a synergy overflow. I was always scared to drill my tanks. 

Hmmmm, looks like I am having issues uploading any more pictures.  I wonder if there is a max on how many images we can post per thread?

Hmmmm, looks like I am having issues uploading any more pictures.  I wonder if there is a max on how many images we can post per thread?

I've been having the same issue with uploading images.

Well, that didn't work.  :angry:

Try, Tapatalk. Will has success uploading images that way. 

1 hour ago, NittyGritty said:

Now to think about overflow, drilling and plumbing.  I went with the Shadow overflow by Synergy and decided to plump with the same colorway as spears manifolds to keep it clean.  Red and grey schedule 80.  Drilling was intense mentally but actually went quickly and without to much effort.  Pro Tip: Use fresh diamond glass hole saws for each build!  After laying down a few coats of black to the back of the tank it was ready to plumb and install my apex shelf.

20170307_124535 (Medium).jpg

20170307_125042 (Medium).jpg

20170312_114910 (Medium).jpg

See Will that's how you Drill a tank. Hahaha. 

This looks like a great build. I am following.

See Will that's how you Drill a tank. Hahaha. 
This looks like a great build. I am following.

I hate you Favio.

6 hours ago, Will846 said:

So crazy looking at what you started with to how the tank looks now. A lot of thought into this build trust me lady's and gents.

Thanks man, its a passion for sure!  The build is half the enjoyment!

Plumping came next, as mentioned before red PVC and schedule 80 fittings and manifolds.  I also decided to go with the Simplicity sump as it was the perfect fit, clean and black.

20170107_183515 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Edited by NittyGritty

Picked up a couple new toys.  I had an older GEO but once I checked our the new versions I had to order it.  Paired with the Aquarium Plants doser and controlled by Apex.

20170209_180921 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170601_145523 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Time to get wet, check for leaks and get the Apex shelf installed.   Ended up with a slight leak from a drilled overflow hole that took a week develop.  Also, caused issues with the back panel black paint.  So, I had to strip it and re-install.  If it was just a system never intended for fish or corals I would have left it clear as it looked pretty badass.

20170330_222204 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170329_101843 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170514_221142 (Medium) (Small).jpg

For my lights I wanted to do my own hybrid.  I had and loved a old TEK light back in the day so I went on the hunt for one.  Found an awesome reefer from BAR that had a unit and donated it to my build for free!  Bonus, he even ended up finding the legs for the unit which were rare and even harder to find.  Just like the stand it was in good shape but needed to be sorted out correctly.  So, after I gutted it and threw away the ballasts, I sent it off to be sand blasted and power coated the same satin black as my stand at Applied Coatings in Lodi, Ca. 

I wanted to run 4 T5's over driven and 3w LED's in a 14k look that I could control to achieve both growth and color.  I went with an icecap 660 to overdrive 3 ATI blue plus bulbs paired with a purple plus along with 48 3w LED with 60 degree optics from RapidLED in a 50/50 blue/white format powered by a dimmable ballast through APEX.   Lastly, Apex's controllable moon LED's to mock our lunar schedule. 

20170531_125457 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170614_152525 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170616_001631 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Edited by NittyGritty

I didn't realize you had that fixture powder coated. Thought someone just took really good care of it. Lol

Tropic Eden mini flakes for substrate and some Jester6 pieces and some exciting rock go in along with a pair of the new Maxspect Gyre XF-230's and updated controller.  Reef Octopus 150 INT along with the Avast Skimmate locker and AquaUV 25w under the hood.  I started with using Chemi Pure Elite blue but have gone back to BRS ROX carbon and GFO in a BRS black deluxe reactor.  Excuse the hot mess on the Apex drawer, I still need to sort out my cable management.

20170211_093926 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170623_144902 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20170621_130818 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Edited by NittyGritty

26 minutes ago, Will846 said:

I didn't realize you had that fixture powder coated. Thought someone just took really good care of it. Lol

Yeah, gotta have it clean and it was more of a flat black originally.