Jump to content
MisterReefer

MisterReefer's Not So New 29g Biocube

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I've had this tank for close to two years now, and I never thought to share it with you until Will brought it up to me!

Here is the equipment:

Coralife 29g Biocube (2015)

Coralife 1/10hp Chiller

Neptune Apex Classic Controller 

Nano Koralia

Intank Media Filter rack with blue filter, Purigen, and Chemipure Elite (in order from top to bottom)

 

Tank inhabitants:

2 Amphiprion Ocellaris (False Clownfish): Had them since 2009!

1 Sleeper Banded Goby (Amblygobius phalaena): Since 2016

1 Branching Hammer (I bought 2 or 3 heads from a club member in 2015 or 2016)

1 Blastomussa Wellsi (Bought one polyp at Reefapalooza (in Orange County) in 2015

 

After getting the tank started, I had two new additions to my family! Sadly, I neglected my tank and only did 10% water chances every few months. A few fish, inverts and coral frags didn't make it. Surprisingly though, these corals loved the "dirty" tank;they seemed to grow faster when the tank was dirty than when I changed 10% of the water every 2-4weeks. 

I was tired of seeing my tank overgrown with algae and I really wanted to clean up my tank. Coincidentally, last week, I saw Sea6's ad for snails and I bought 10 Trochus snails from him (Thanks Joey!) 

Here is a BEFORE pic of the tank with the snails:

i-Sc87rDf-XL.jpg

 

Also, last Thursday, I bid on a bunch of frags from AquaSD on Ebay. I ended up buying 4 acan frags and they come in on Wednesday!! I hope they survive in my tank!!?

Here is a current tank shot (Taken 8/7/2017):

i-wptCS7d-XL.jpg

 

I plan on adding more rock, an auto top off and possibly an Intank Fuge Basket & light.

 

 

Edited by MisterReefer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MisterReefer said:

Hi all, I've had this tank for close to two years now, and I never thought to share it with you until Will brought it up to me!

Here is the equipment:

Coralife 29g Biocube (2015)

Coralife 1/10hp Chiller

Neptune Apex Classic Controller 

Nano Koralia

Intank Media Filter rack with blue filter, Purigen, and Chemipure Elite (in order from top to bottom)

 

Tank inhabitants:

2 Amphiprion Ocellaris (False Clownfish): Had them since 2009!

1 Sleeper Banded Goby (Amblygobius phalaena): Since 2016

1 Branching Hammer (I bought 2 or 3 heads from a club member in 2015 or 2016)

1 Blastomussa Wellsi (Bought one polyp at Reefapalooza (in Orange County) in 2015

 

After getting the tank started, I had two new additions to my family! Sadly, I neglected my tank and only did 10% water chances every few months. A few fish, inverts and coral frags didn't make it. Surprisingly though, these corals loved the "dirty" tank;they seemed to grow faster when the tank was dirty than when I changed 10% of the water every 2-4weeks. 

I was tired of seeing my tank overgrown with algae and I really wanted to clean up my tank. Coincidentally, last week, I saw Sea6's ad for snails and I bought 10 Trochus snails from him (Thanks Joey!) 

Here is a BEFORE pic of the tank with the snails:

i-Sc87rDf-XL.jpg

 

Also, last Thursday, I bid on a bunch of frags from AquaSD on Ebay. I ended up buying 4 acan frags and they come in on Wednesday!! I hope they survive in my tank!!?

Here is a current tank shot (Taken 8/7/2017):

i-wptCS7d-XL.jpg

 

I plan on adding more rock, an auto top off and possibly an Intank Fuge Basket & light.

 

 

Wow what a turn around. Good job.  I used an AquaClear30 HOB filterwith somr small rock rubble and a small ball of cheato. I used a tiny clip on led over the top of the HOB filter to grow the micro algae. Worked out well. Keep up your 10% WC. Thanks for posting. We look forward to your progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ROOTS said:

Wow what a turn around. Good job.  I used an AquaClear30 HOB filterwith somr small rock rubble and a small ball of cheato. I used a tiny clip on led over the top of the HOB filter to grow the micro algae. Worked out well. Keep up your 10% WC. Thanks for posting. We look forward to your progress. 

Thanks! I'm guessing you took off the top of your biocube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MisterReefer said:

Thanks! I'm guessing you took off the top of your biocube?

My bad... no I had an 8 gallon global EBI rimless tank with no top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diamond Jack said:

Glad to see you hung in there. Love seeing nano tanks.

Looks like you have room for some coral since the snails cleared out some space!

Thanks! Yeah, I can't wait to add more!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ROOTS said:

My bad... no I had an 8 gallon global EBI rimless tank with no top.

Oh ok, no worries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Will846 said:

Damn those snails put in work. And thanks for posting. 

Thanks Will! Hey, what should i do with the snails once there's no more algae for them? Leave em in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MisterReefer said:

Thanks Will! Hey, what should i do with the snails once there's no more algae for them? Leave em in?

I would say leave some of them in and remove the rest.  Just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd leave a couple also. They will keep your tank clean and algae in check.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K.

The corals from AquaSD are here!

Here's what's inside:

1. Triple Gold Spice Acan

2. Peacock Acan

3. Devils Driveway Acan

4. Stargate Acan

5. Freebie!

i-3kqBmjJ-S.jpg

i-fLdmjG7-S.jpg

i-f4NfQ2m-L.png

 

I'll take better photos when they're done acclimating/dipping.

Gotta buy some dip at Carter's Pet Mart.

To dip or not to dip??

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, straight from the ocean? Now I really want to dip them.  Carter's only had Revive and Randy's had nothing. Gotta check Twins, otherwise I'll buy the Revive dip @ Carter's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MisterReefer said:

K.

The corals from AquaSD are here!

Here's what's inside:

1. Triple Gold Spice Acan

2. Peacock Acan

3. Devils Driveway Acan

4. Stargate Acan

5. Freebie!

i-3kqBmjJ-S.jpg

i-fLdmjG7-S.jpg

i-f4NfQ2m-L.png

 

I'll take better photos when they're done acclimating/dipping.

Gotta buy some dip at Carter's Pet Mart.

To dip or not to dip??

 

 

 

Nice, I use Bayer for dipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These photos were taken while the actinic light was on. No editing was done on any of the photos.

This must be the Triple Gold Spice Acan:

i-mxT5X8c-S.jpg

Devils Driveway Acan:

i-khF9zq7-S.jpg

 

The Stargate Acan frag looks bluish gray. When i pointed a blue LED flashlight to it, I could see

Stargate Acan:

i-px5WCz2-S.jpg

The peacock acan isn't doing to well. Out of the bag, it was showing a little skeleton. It puffed up a little, but retracted when i moved it to a different spot.

Peacock Acan:

i-S9xSJ2C-S.jpg

 

The unknown Freebie frag:

i-Zx9rp6X-S.jpg

 

Now I have to buy some Salifert test kits to check my levels:/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bad photos bro. Mine don't even look that good with editing. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haha lol thanks Will! 
What do I have to do to this biocube to get these corals color to pop? 

What lights are you running?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The stock lights...but just changed the bulbs to oddysea bulbs (36Wpc)


That's what I would change if it was me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×