MisterReefer

MisterReefer's Not So New 29g Biocube

Years ago, I owed the 14g biocube and made the retrofitted the hood with rapid led fixture parts. It was ghetto looking and I wasn't satisfied with the results/look.

Just checked out stevesled and the setup looks way better. 

Are there any other retrofit brands/options?

Glad to see the snails are grazing!  Nice new additions from AQSD, too!

It's a FTS friday. Thanks to NittyGritty for the new Frogspawn frag!

i-MmZPPZM-L.jpg

The Triple Spice Acan still looks the same. The middle polyp has the most color.

i-KnZ3J89-L.jpg

Devil's Driveway isn't having a good picture day:

i-CGH9JhT-L.jpg

Rushed this pic of the Stargate Acan. Probably the most boring frag in my tank in terms of color:

i-JgVQ3hw-L.jpg

The unknown freebie (any help with it's name please?) still looking good:

i-9W9d9Lh-L.jpg

The Your Reef Blasto made a full recovery since being introduced to the tank. I messed with the white balance and got this weird color:

i-jtwpFR2-L.jpg

And last but not least, the current full tank shot:

i-pnK5s52-XL.jpg

Edited by MisterReefer

My Sleeper Banded goby died last week, probably because he didn't have anything left in the sand to eat. He ate Thera pellets too, but I guess it wasn't too appetizing. I replaced him with another Sleeper Banded Goby...and the new one, which was half the size, is presumably dead. He disappeared after 2 days:/ I added Tigger pods to the tank and they are no where in sight. The Salinity of the water in the Tigger Pod bottle was 1.025, slightly off from my tank's 1.026, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

All of this has led me to my most recent tank purchase, an Intank fuge basket. All I need is a light strip and some chaeto.

I plan to buy another bottle of Tigger pods, and dump em in the back when I set up the fuge with some chaeto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MisterReefer said:

c27fd70eecfd97472cf2defebd2e372a.jpg

nice pick up, sorry to hear about the goby. Next time you buy one make the store feed it before you buy it.

nice pick up, sorry to hear about the goby. Next time you buy one make the store feed it before you buy it.

Lol, forreal? Just ask them to feed it first to make sure it's eating right?

15 minutes ago, MisterReefer said:

Lol, forreal? Just ask them to feed it first to make sure it's eating right?

Yes, I never buy fish if they don't eat at the store. Most stores will feed them for you. 

Great tip, thank you!

Ya definitely ask to see them eat and how long they had them in the store.

12 hours ago, MisterReefer said:

Great tip, thank you!

That's why we are here for to help each other out. 

Have you or anyone else ever tried adding Tigger Pods to your tank? How do you fed 'em and make them multiply? It's like all of mine got eaten or died within a day.

Have you or anyone else ever tried adding Tigger Pods to your tank? How do you fed 'em and make them multiply? It's like all of mine got eaten or died within a day.

They won't last. They are mainly used as food for the tank. Not long term breeding pods.

I would recommmed to order a mixture of pods from algae barn. They have several differnt types of pods that can seed tank
and reproduce. Pods eat junk/ rotting stuff in tank or phyto. If you have some live rock in the sump that will provide them with a place to safely reproduce without predation. Lots of common reef hobby fish eat pods. They can clean them out fast in a tank.

51 minutes ago, Diamond Jack said:

They won't last. They are mainly used as food for the tank. Not long term breeding pods.

I would recommmed to order a mixture of pods from algae barn. They have several differnt types of pods that can seed tank
and reproduce. Pods eat junk/ rotting stuff in tank or phyto. If you have some live rock in the sump that will provide them with a place to safely reproduce without predation. Lots of common reef hobby fish eat pods. They can clean them out fast in a tank.

Thanks, 

1 hour ago, Diamond Jack said:

Thanks Marius! That's a cool website. I'm definitely gonna try their products!

My corals were showing signs of distress, and one of the acans even separated from its skeleton and moved to the sand. I attached it to a new frag and it someone detached itself again.

0100Hrs I decided to do some water tests with the tests kits I have. Here are the results:

Calcium (Salifert): 365
Magnesium ( Salifert): 1290
Alk(Hanna): 6.05
Sg(Refractometer): 1.025
Phosphates(Hanna): 0.20

Last water change was last Sunday, October 15. I changed 5 gallons using RODI water and Seachem Salinity Salt.

Note: Phosphate reading on Sunday was .08.

I think the dead goby, whose body I couldn’t find, probably started a cycle of some sort.

I went online and calculated how much 2 part to add to my tank to raise my alk to 8dkh and calcium to 450.

Gonna do another 5gallon water change to try to lower the phosphates.

I don’t run GFO, but I’m thinking of doing it. The biocube filtration area is so limited in space and I don’t know where the reactor’s pump would fit. I’m still looking for a led strip for my refugium. I’ve been using a Finnex led fixture which sits on the top of the biocube. I leave the back cover open so the light can shine down on the back sections. So far, there hasn’t been any unwanted algae growth in the back section.

I had really good results in my last biocube with using the middle filtration compartment for chaeto. It would fill up every two weeks.

What did you use to light the middle compartment?

Just a house bulb with $5 reflector.

A red and blue Par 27 bulb would be perfect

Did you clip it to the stand or on top of the tank cover?

I had mine shining through the back glass. More exposure that way

Cool. Gotta figure out a way to hang this light against the back. It sucks that it has blue and white leds and both connect to a single switch. Think it will help grow the chaeto still?

Blue and Red are the two spectrums most heavily used by chlorophyll, so you get the most bang for your buck by having a light that shines in that spectrum which combined looks purple but other spectrums don't hurt chaeto. However, the most commonly held belief currently about refugium lighting is that it needs to out compete your main lighting or the micro algae in tank will out compete your chaeto.

Regarding GFO, it can be run outside of a reactor in a media bag inside your filter compartment. especially if you can somehow force the water through it. Regardless chaeto should be the main factor in terms to taking care of those nutrients, but GFO might help get things back in check and keep phosphate in check. But obviously it is also pretty easy to do a near 100% water change on a 35g tank. Best of luck!

That looks like a fantastic cheap refugium option. The one caveat to keep in mind is the TLF reactors are pretty prone to leaking in a variety of ways but if you take the proper precautions and care you can mitigate these risks.