MisterReefer

MisterReefer's Not So New 29g Biocube

On 10/21/2017 at 10:40 PM, Suohhen said:

Blue and Red are the two spectrums most heavily used by chlorophyll, so you get the most bang for your buck by having a light that shines in that spectrum which combined looks purple but other spectrums don't hurt chaeto. However, the most commonly held belief currently about refugium lighting is that it needs to out compete your main lighting or the micro algae in tank will out compete your chaeto.

Regarding GFO, it can be run outside of a reactor in a media bag inside your filter compartment. especially if you can somehow force the water through it. Regardless chaeto should be the main factor in terms to taking care of those nutrients, but GFO might help get things back in check and keep phosphate in check. But obviously it is also pretty easy to do a near 100% water change on a 35g tank. Best of luck!

Interesting! Thank you! I have a TLF Phosban reactor sitting around and i just need to buy a pump for it. Would you advise running the GFO reactor temporarily or permanently?

On 10/21/2017 at 10:58 PM, GrizFyrFyter said:

I'm a big fan of algae reactors, especially on AIO tanks. A TLF 150 reactor, tubing, a small pump and $20 in led will make a great nutrient reducer that can hang on the back with a low profile and easy to clean. 66fbf8a56cc50e0638295c49846878c3.jpg

What pump do you use for the reactor? Do you have a built thread for the reactor?

I’m going to be trying out that algae reactor. Griz looks to be having great success using his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally run it constantly as I see no harm in keeping phosphates as low as possible regardless of the fact that the refugium does that pretty well on its own. At the very least GFO provides a nice safeguard against spikes caused by die off but obviously requires maintenance and isn't free. As for pump I would go with something with very low flow since it is a small tank and reactors are all about tank turnover rates. Also lower flow is far less likely to leak on the top gasket of the TLF. One thing to keep in mind with GFO is that it will stick together with time. That is the reason why almost everyone runs it in a reactor in order to tumble the media. An alternative solution is to mix together 2/3 Carbon with 1/3 GFO and pack them tightly together as the carbon will seperate the GFO to keep it from clumping, but if this mix is allowed to tumble the GFO will grind the carbon to dust. Here is a fantastic video about running these media. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brs-carbon-and-gfo-reactors/

Is this blasto still alive? It hasn’t opened up in two weeks. The mouth has been open for a week. I gave it a food pellet last night(it’s the brown stuff you see in it’s mouth).

2faa05603cb124a9de7eef1376560793.jpg

This Biocube was good to me for almost 2 years. Last night I took it down to upgrade and I’m either going to sell the Biocube or use it as a hospital tank.

Thank you for your service, B!

fc5f74d5458c38e3e79c3249c190508f.jpg

Congrats on the upgrade. Can’t wait to here your review