LIL.HoEsAy

Your Reef's blasto grow out tracking thread

Yup, everything Marius said. Using a tripod is a must.

The minimum focusing distance for the 50mm 1.8II is 1.1ft, so that is the closest your lens can be to the coral for it to be in focus.

Try this: While on a tripod, set the camera mode to AV on the dial. Set aperture to  f/11 and keep the iso low. f/11 is pretty tiny, which mean you might need to turn on the tank day lights to keep the corresponding shutter speed fast. Focus on the mid point of the frag (focus either auto or manual). Use the 2 second timer delay and hit the shutter. Post your results! I wanna know if this chart really works, lol!

My chart says at that distance (1.1ft. or 13.2 inches), in order to have the whole frag in focus,  you need to focus on the center of the frag, and aperture needs to be f/11. The chart says the total depth of field should be about inch, which is probably what that frag measures.

Agreed. ISO is way too high for an xsi. I think 600-800 was the highest I would go with that body. Are you using the plastic fantastic 50mm? If so, the focus ring on those takes a little fandagling in manual focus. But it's a great lens once you get the hang of it.

More light in the tank for sure to get a brighter exposure. A trick I sometimes use is taking a flashlight and shining it over the coral. Helps if you can't adjust the lighting of your tank.

Yup, everything Marius said. Using a tripod is a must.
The minimum focusing distance for the 50mm 1.8II is 1.1ft, so that is the closest your lens can be to the coral for it to be in focus.
Try this: While on a tripod, set the camera mode to AV on the dial. Set aperture to  f/11 and keep the iso low. f/11 is pretty tiny, which mean you might need to turn on the tank day lights to keep the corresponding shutter speed fast. Focus on the mid point of the frag (focus either auto or manual). Use the 2 second timer delay and hit the shutter. Post your results! I wanna know if this chart really works, lol!
My chart says at that distance (1.1ft. or 13.2 inches), in order to have the whole frag in focus,  you need to focus on the center of the frag, and aperture needs to be f/11. The chart says the total depth of field should be about inch, which is probably what that frag measures.

Agreed. ISO is way too high for an xsi. I think 600-800 was the highest I would go with that body. Are you using the plastic fantastic 50mm? If so, the focus ring on those takes a little fandagling in manual focus. But it's a great lens once you get the hang of it.
More light in the tank for sure to get a brighter exposure. A trick I sometimes use is taking a flashlight and shining it over the coral. Helps if you can't adjust the lighting of your tank.

I think your iso is way too high. If you have to turn the iso up that high you need more light. I think that might be taking away from your sharpness. More light. Lower iso.  
Here is what I do. Maybe something here could be helpful.

I use a tripod. I use the screen display. Zoom in and use manual focus. I can fine tune it way better that way. Get as close to subject as possible where the lens is sharp almost all the way turned clockwise. You want to shoot straight at the frag. Pumps off. Glass clean. Put the camera on 3 second timer so it shoots when you are not touching it. Iso at maybe 200-400. Shoot f4-6.

Don't give up. Have fun with it. Experiment with different settings.

All very good info. I'm going to bust out my camera tonight and see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To keep this thread on track (it used to be the grow out thread...), I've started a new one in the general area called "Photography Tutorial".  I took some shots with the recommendations above and the results are amazing!  Please comment on the new thread.  

Finally picked my frag up yesterday. For your info Don. I took the smallest of the three.

Single head to start with7df08d593936812f8859a58778a11351.jpg

10 hours ago, Will846 said:

Finally picked my frag up yesterday. For your info Don. I took the smallest of the three. emoji13.png

Single head to start with7df08d593936812f8859a58778a11351.jpg

Wow... that's so "Big" of you. Thanks. Haha. 

Hoping to set up the new light thus weekend and pick up the frag next week.

September status pic. 1 polyp.00ea3c72fc784119af067545005f25b5.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk

Quick reminder make sure you post your first picture of your blasto and polyp count by Thursday  September 7th. 

Thanks 

Edited by LIL.HoEsAy

Wish I could get better pics. Mine has the orange rim coloring pretty good.

1 blasto head. 1 unedited iphone pic. Frag rack up high with blasto. Pump off. You can do it Will. 
36679650190_c3723f5159_c.jpg

you calling me out Marius. Lol

11 minutes ago, Diamond Jack said:

1 blasto head. 1 unedited iphone pic. Frag rack up high with blasto. Pump off. You can do it Will. 

36679650190_c3723f5159_c.jpg

Show off. 😂

Dead line is today for September.  Still need photo and number of polyps from the following members;

NittyGritty 

Ricardooo 

Poolman

Mpderksen 

After today if there is no response rules state that you will be taken out of the contest. If I recall correctly.