Sign in to follow this  
MisterReefer

Culturing Phytoplankton, Copepods, etc.

Does anyone culture phytoplankton, copepods, rotifiers, etc? I did a quick search of the forums and I couldn't find much.

I'm thinking of trying it to supplement my fish and coral food. 

Can I replace pellet food with pods long term? Would it be more beneficial than dry food/frozen food? 

Edited by MisterReefer

Not sure if you could culture enough pods to feed an entire tank only pods.  For example, one 5 gallon bucket of rotifers has to have 1 gallon of water changed a day, from that gallon of water you get about a teaspoon (sometimes more, sometimes less) of rotifers.  You then feed the culture with phyto in the fresh water you use about a tablespoon of the phyto to cloud the water green.  The rotifer feed on the cloudy water and when it is clear (for us we check the next day) you repeat the process.  They require at least one gallon water change a day and the 5 gallon bucket needs to be cleaned once a week.  They are pretty dirty animal as they culture get really thick with the animals.  

In the reef tank they do not have the level of food and they have predators in the tank to keep there numbers in check.  The nice thing about pods and rotifers in the tank is that they do not foul the water and they feed on algae not only on surfaces but also in the water column.

If you are interested in seeing the process let me know.

Not sure if you could culture enough pods to feed an entire tank only pods.  For example, one 5 gallon bucket of rotifers has to have 1 gallon of water changed a day, from that gallon of water you get about a teaspoon (sometimes more, sometimes less) of rotifers.  You then feed the culture with phyto in the fresh water you use about a tablespoon of the phyto to cloud the water green.  The rotifer feed on the cloudy water and when it is clear (for us we check the next day) you repeat the process.  They require at least one gallon water change a day and the 5 gallon bucket needs to be cleaned once a week.  They are pretty dirty animal as they culture get really thick with the animals.  
In the reef tank they do not have the level of food and they have predators in the tank to keep there numbers in check.  The nice thing about pods and rotifers in the tank is that they do not foul the water and they feed on algae not only on surfaces but also in the water column.
If you are interested in seeing the process let me know.
That is a lot of good information. I have just setup a cope pod and plankton culture system. Hopefully it works. I am using the water from my water change to grow them sense it has most of what they want. I feel like mine will crash and die. Bur hopefully I learn so next time will be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk