My name is James McEntire. About 15 years ago I left reefing because of a leak, and subsequently causing my tank to crash. It was a sad day, couple of weeks actually.

I am excited about getting back in. I am starting small, and we will see where it goes. Moderation isn't my strong suite. Glad to meet you all. 

Welcome back James! Awesome to see another reefer get that itch back, so many of us go out in flames from tank crashes and honestly my favorite thing about reefing clubs is the shared real world experience which goes miles towards helping others avoid the same fate.

Hi James! Welcome back! 15 years ago!? Any pics of your old tank? Any pics of your new biocube?

Here is my must have list for the biocube:

1. Intank Media Basket w/ filter sponge or filter floss, Chemipure/Chemipure Elite and a bag of Carbon or PhosGuard for water filtration.

2. Intank Fuge Basket & Chaetomorpha Algae to keep the Phosphates in check.

3. Any small light for the Fuge.

These are all optional, but they kept my biocube healthy for the last few months!

Ryan

Thank you all for the welcome.

Unfortunately no pics of the old tank. Phones weren't as advanced then, but won't make that mistake again. 

The Biocube is really what got me back in. This system has everything a built in sump and lights, very cool. Technology in the hobby has advanced considerably. 

I will be adding a small protein skimmer, and later, when I get enough coral in the tank to warrant it, a calcium reactor. My tank is still cycling so the only coral I have in the tank are left over from the previous owner. They aren't in good shape, hopefully I can bring them back. For now I will use water changes and supplements and later get a reactor. 

I have Bio-balls, ceramic media, activated carbon and Phosgaurd on route. 

I have seen the Fuge concept on youtube. Looks interesting.

Solid advice Griz, and heck yeah on the fuge, they have so many benefits not the least of which is that they can out compete algae in your main protecting you even if you have a nutrient spike. A word of caution with the bioballs and other filter media, they are a problem in the long run as they're nitrate factories. However, fish mortality is definitely a large issue with new additions so I am not completely against the idea of running filter media until they get established, as long as you combine this with frequent large water changes which are easy to do on a nano tank. Also Marinepure is a great alternative if you wish to run filter media in the long term.