Will846

Members Attention Needed

We are hearing a lot of self serving reasons for all of this.... who was the club president at the time? And why aren’t we hearing anything from this person on why they thought this was ok? Did anyone read the charter or understand what a non profit “club” is all about?

Why anyone would think it’s great to be on the BOD because I can fill my tank at wholesale prices! Gee we should all take turn being on the BOD then

Kim, were you not president of NVR at the time?  That what you told me when I can to pick up my stylo frag from your home.

No I was not president.  I never served as president.  I was likely vice president when you can to my home.  I said I had hoped to become president in the next election.

12 minutes ago, Kim Pattison said:

No I was not president.  I never served as president.  I was likely vice president when you can to my home.  I said I had hoped to become president in the next election.

Huh, odd.  We talked about your role, where you hosted meetings and the NVR frag swap and NVR being the oldest club arround. You shared you were in real estate and would offer coral for help with referals.  To be honest, I had the impression you had been the president of NVR for quiet some time.  I could have misunderstood everything though, anything is possible.

Edited by NittyGritty

Thank you to the BOD for bringing this to the membership’s attention. I would like to see this resolved as quickly as possible, deal with it, close it and move on.  I believe there needs to be some accountability and obviously the BOD has a lot of work to do mending fences.  

My proposal is, permanent ban from the BOD for Kim and permanent ban from the BOD (if not the club for refusing to accept any responsibility) for the other individual. Then the club can deal with any repercussions if or when they arise.

22 minutes ago, planecrazy said:

Thank you to the BOD for bringing this to the membership’s attention. I would like to see this resolved as quickly as possible, deal with it, close it and move on.  I believe there needs to be some accountability and obviously the BOD has a lot of work to do mending fences.  

My proposal is, permanent ban from the BOD for Kim and permanent ban from the BOD (if not the club for refusing to accept any responsibility) for the other individual. Then the club can deal with any repercussions if or when they arise.

I agree with you 100% Brandon!

It doesn’t matter if they knowingly and maliciously did all this damage to the club, they were running it like it was their own private business and wholesale club.

They violated laws and the club could still be on the hook in the future, either financially or closed down as a non-profit.

If they didn’t know any better.... they sure as heck should have! 

1 hour ago, planecrazy said:

+1

Sorry I don't take what you are saying as an apology. Regardless your actions have caused significant harm and thus I cannot sympathize with any of your reasoning.  I am not sure where I stand in terms of repercussions as I would like to hear the whole story first but it is hard to be inclined towards just giving a slap on the wrist at this point. :/

On 11/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, Will846 said:

Attention all members.

The current BOD wanted to get your input on this situation before we make a final decision on the matter.

The Board had this matter brought to them and asked to look into it. I will not mention names.

On multiple occasions members and sponsors reached out to the Board asking us to look into a situation where the Board Members where breaking the club rules.

Rules Broken:

1. Making purchases thru a non sponsor

2. Not providing documentation on

purchases or deposits.

3. Using the club for personal gain.

4. Signing the club up as a Retail Store

I looked into this situation and came across an application from a certain Board member to a Wholesaler named Tropical Fish International. The application was listing Northern Valley Reefers as a Retail Store using our non profit EIN number for tax purposes. I contacted Tropical Fish International and asked them about our account and our transactions. After a conversation he agreed to send me the receipts associated with the NVR Bank Card. Their are 3 purchases that he sent me one in which was over $1000. He also agreed that with these purchases if the club where to be audited at tax time we would loose our non profit.

After receiving these receipts I looked into the bank account and found their where deposits at the time but they where all during swap times.

I reached out to the members involved in this and gave them an opportunity to give me their side of the story. One member was very defensive and felt they did nothing wrong. The other member after further conversation agreed it was not the best choice.

I asked for a list of purchases and a transaction history. Which is part of the Boards responsibilities and was told they only used the Wells Fargo Monthly statements.

Going back to the receipts. There where purchases for fresh water fish, large coral colonies, Saltwater Fish and a couple of large frag packs which where used for the swap tables. The frag packs where around $200 the rest where personal transactions used for personal tanks.

When I asked the members why they used the NVR Card instead of their own their response was the Wholesaler can only charge the card associated to the store. Now in person the Wholesaler allowed them to make purchases on there own card. But not on shipping orders.

With all this being said these are the issues:

1. I have no documentation from the

members involved on the money being

placed back in the account. I’m sure it was

but their is no documentation on it.

2. There is no documentation for bank

transactions to prove any purchases

3. Items being purchased using the club for

personal gain

4. Signing up NVR as a Retail Store

5. Sponsors dropping us for cutting out the

middle man and going to the cheaper

source.

Please ask any questions you may have and how you feel the club should handle this on this thread. I have the receipts and the application just need to do some editing to remove the names before I post.

Thanks,

2017 Board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to you about this before and it explained it to you. I am out of town so this is the first time I have seen this post. All financials were printed and put in a folder and was picked up by Jose if I remember right. What they dont always say is what someone was paying for, Kim's purchases were reimbursed through paypal back to the club as they only accepted 1 payment type since they are not a retail store, not uncommon for a sponsor to give discounts to people at the store they are at. They gave us $500 in retail value as a donation to the club, I later purchased coral to put out on the tables for swaps to help fill out the tables and hopefully make the swaps more enjoyable for everyone since this is a club all about corals. As for buying local I did try Your Reef but he had little interest in doing the same thing tat TFI allowed us to do. The second time we went down for the Reefapalooza we bought 200 or so in corals as I dont have the numbers in front of me and they matched it. All told this helped us raise money for the club which was reinvested in equipment, corals, raffles and such. As for selecting retail I asked and he said to select that one since they did not have a club option as we have no re-sellers license and he used the ein number for their donations and our purchases. I saw a good option to help the club and we on the bod agreed to use it, just like the donations we got from manufacturers. When i was given cash to reimburse the club I just put it in the cash box after counting it out, we never have had a receipt book for it before and did not worry about it as I made sure the money owed was paid. These will just show up as cash deposits and sadly their just is no way to clear that up and multiple bods have done that before as well.

Sponsors were already complaining to me the club was not worth the financial investment anymore, I did my best to work with the ones that would, I am not going to name stores as that is just silly. But several store we bought coral for grow outs, equipment, gift cards and we even did some fish. Now I tried to make these unhappy stores happy with the store tours but people did not really turn out for them and to be honest the Sacramento stores see more business with MARS and 916 so they see even less of a reason to reach out to us when I cant bring them business from the club. I had less then $800 total when I inherited this club which is barely anything, not even enough to do a swap so I did everything I could to raise funds for the club and keep it running despite the crazyiness that had gone on and fractured the club. Will you got the club with $2,000 plus in the account and you and the current bod did nothing for months, except a bowling meeting in Elk Grove, which is odd since this is a Stockton- Modesto based club. Then Ryan finally resigns and you decide to appoint people to the bod which is against the club charter, it was supposed to go to elections again to fill the bod, but you decided to ignore it when it was convenient for you. Also I see no post for elections which are due at the beginning of this month. You accuse the former bod of breaking rules, yet you dont want to follow them when it's not convenient for you. Like I told you with TFI, if you felt that was not a good idea then you were welcome to not work with them. The rest is silly and your adding drama for 0 reason, the club is financially better off then it has been in years and has more equipment that it owns what is hurting is for more members and threads like this wont help that. Also basically having almost no club activities also does not help club membership. I also suggested putting more documentation at local stores to help bring in more members an area where I felt I could have done better, Kim was much better at that then me. Witch hunt if you want but the club is far better off financially then it was before. Sadly the last swap that we did we could only barely break even do to ever lowering turn outs and that was the biggest money maker for the club then Reefapalooza was second for us.

No one is perfect but accusing others when you also have done things wrong is not a good idea.

Hello Club,

I was a part of the BOD last year and the year before that. I can honestly say that my roll in the BOD was very minimal as far as responsibilities go. I did attend as many meetings as I could. 

I can' for the life of me remember the accused actions took place. I missed a couple of meetings and I was not able to participate in RAP.

I was very happy when Will approached me to serve out the remainder of the year as the Treasure.  When this was brought to my attention, i was seriously blown away. I can't speak for Derek but not all BOD members new of thus plan and actions. I didn't. I, along with the current BOD have been hitting the pavement, making  phone calls, and emailing all sponsors trying to rebuild the relationships.  This is not an easy task. We have even taken getting screamed at. 

In all I do agree with the actions needed to tame place. Ban, move on, and rebuild. It hurts me to even hear of this crap happening.

In conclusion.... NVR needs to participate and light this forum up. We as a BOD have given you the members and contributing members the chance to give ideas on how to get new members and new exciting events. Dig deep and come up with the ideas. There is no stupid suggestion. All I ask is please make an effort to participate in the events. 

Thanks peeps for hearing my side.

Edited by ROOTS

Alright for starters let’s start with my flaws. You accuse me of wrongfully selecting Board members when the others resigned. I believe the bylaws can fix that issue. Have you read them? If not here you go. I’ve attached it for you to read. 

Second flaw you accused me of not posting up anythjng on elections. Maybe you should check the forum. It’s posted

On what the club has done with money this year. Yes the club before I took the head did nothing but a bowling party. The party was asked and voted to have it their based on which location showed the most interest. 

During this time is when issues outside of the club came up and the Board tried to work thru it. Which eventually led to the members stepping down. 

What have I done since I took over. My number one item I focused on was fixing our local relationships with sponsors and working to bringing members back together. I think if you ask the members that actually have had conversations with me or attended an event they will be able to support me.

Now we go to your flaws. 

Your financial paperwork you handed over was bank statements from Wells Fargo. That shows nothing about what the club spent or brought in. This info helps the next BOD learn what works or what didn’t work from the past. 

TFI no matter how you try to put it is wrong. You can cover it in chocolate and it still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. You really think you did no wrong in this? $2000 in receipts sure maybe $600 was for the club but what about the rest? You say they can only use one card because they are not a retail store? They only used one card because it’s part of the application you filled out stating all transactions from the club will be charged to the Store Card. 

If you really think this is a non issue then you have your own problems to deal with. As far as I’m concerned I’m doing what I believe is best on a matter that needed to be addressed with the club.

05615433-D51E-4A8E-B970-EAB4E9A69440.png

Sounds like the former president is no longer in California.... he is in the state of Denial!

From the previous behavior and from the knowledge he has just shown it is apparent that he has never read the club bylaws..... 

it sounds like he is busy pointing fingers in all directions but at himself. Anything that went is during his tenure as president is his responsibility. If he allowed other BOD members to use the club for personal gain, he is responsible..... Does he have no knowledge of a BOD member Wrongly winning and enjoying a trip to Hawaii..... 

ignorance of the bylaws is not an excuse!

Just to be clear the BAD decisions made by a few previous bod members have seriously affected the club. Its dissapointing and we are in a difficult position because of it.

Deciding to sign a non profit up for a retail account at a wholesaler was a horrible decision. The club could lose its non profit status under this and that is probably the end of the club. Lets just all agree on the obvious, it was done to benefit a few members buying a lot of stuff at whoesale prices without having their own businesses. Yes, a few purchases are made for the frag swap to jusity having a whoesale account. The whole idea that this place made NVR open an account to get a donation dosen't even make sence. It was BAD decision.

Winning the trip to Hawaii by somehow posing as a paid booth vendor ruined all clubs from being allowed to participate in rap and max. Those are huge fundraisers for the club. Selling frag donations at those events pulled in thousands of dollars. Those major fundraisers are now gone for us and all the other clubs. If we could somehow apologize and pay the people that run those shows back for the trip so they could actually give it to someone who deserves it, that would be the right thing. Sadly, we don't have enough money as a club to this and so much time has passed that the damage is already done.

Most bod leave the club in good standing with stores and sponsors. The new bod have had to deal with a lot of anger and negative views about NVR due to the above actions. I'm talking about a majority of our store sponsors. Its crazy. Its been quite an uphill battle.

I've heard about other questionable actions as well, but these are the ones verified by multiple sources that we have solid evidence on.

Where we are now is basically having to rebuild club from ground up, but even worse because of the bad taste people have with NVR now. It sucks.

Sadly, I don't see how we get around not banning people in some form for these actions.

I’m leaving this post open tell tomorrow at 1pm. At that point The BOD will go over everything one last time and deliver the outcome. Thanks everyone that has posted on this matter. At the end of the day it’s the members club. We all need to work together to protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Will846 said:

Alright for starters let’s start with my flaws. You accuse me of wrongfully selecting Board members when the others resigned. I believe the bylaws can fix that issue. Have you read them? If not here you go. I’ve attached it for you to read. 

Second flaw you accused me of not posting up anythjng on elections. Maybe you should check the forum. It’s posted

On what the club has done with money this year. Yes the club before I took the head did nothing but a bowling party. The party was asked and voted to have it their based on which location showed the most interest. 

During this time is when issues outside of the club came up and the Board tried to work thru it. Which eventually led to the members stepping down. 

What have I done since I took over. My number one item I focused on was fixing our local relationships with sponsors and working to bringing members back together. I think if you ask the members that actually have had conversations with me or attended an event they will be able to support me.

Now we go to your flaws. 

Your financial paperwork you handed over was bank statements from Wells Fargo. That shows nothing about what the club spent or brought in. This info helps the next BOD learn what works or what didn’t work from the past. 

TFI no matter how you try to put it is wrong. You can cover it in chocolate and it still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. You really think you did no wrong in this? $2000 in receipts sure maybe $600 was for the club but what about the rest? You say they can only use one card because they are not a retail store? They only used one card because it’s part of the application you filled out stating all transactions from the club will be charged to the Store Card. 

If you really think this is a non issue then you have your own problems to deal with. As far as I’m concerned I’m doing what I believe is best on a matter that needed to be addressed with the club.

05615433-D51E-4A8E-B970-EAB4E9A69440.png

A quorum is required for vacancies which is 30 members voting on it, but it matters not, your going to do what your going to do as for Neil try to remember you were the president of a failed club that was not even a registered non profit and accepted donations from a companies and the club was owned by a retail store a serious issue in my mind, so to be honest I could care less what you think Neil. Your witch hunt against Kim is way over the top and if you want to drag me along go right ahead. Funny none of these issues came up during the swaps when I clearly listed TFI as where the coral came from, even the cups. Do whatever you want to do but I see why so few former bod actually stay active in this club.

If clubs are no longer allowed to attend RAP and MAX on account of us, then may I make a “fall on our own sward” suggestion to hopefully mitigate the damage? Can we petition RAP and MAX to allow clubs to return if we agree not to?

14 minutes ago, Braver69 said:

A quorum is required for vacancies which is 30 members voting on it, but it matters not, your going to do what your going to do as for Neil try to remember you were the president of a failed club that was not even a registered non profit and accepted donations from a companies and the club was owned by a retail store a serious issue in my mind, so to be honest I could care less what you think Neil. Your witch hunt against Kim is way over the top and if you want to drag me along go right ahead. Funny none of these issues came up during the swaps when I clearly listed TFI as where the coral came from, even the cups. Do whatever you want to do but I see why so few former bod actually stay active in this club.

I’m not sure what any other club has to do with the complete mismanagement, self serving actions of the previously BOD of this club? 

Seems like someone is trying to distract the spotlight from his poor leadership of the club. 

There is a reason so many people abandoned this club during your illustrious tenure, including myself who was looking into other “options “ including helping start another club in the Bay Area that never even got started.... but hey take your shots ! And hopefully you will enjoy a very looong vacation away from this club!

41 minutes ago, Braver69 said:

Actually most BOD members don't do more than a year due to the time involved in running the club........

37 minutes ago, planecrazy said:

If clubs are no longer allowed to attend RAP and MAX on account of us, then may I make a “fall on our own sward” suggestion to hopefully mitigate the damage? Can we petition RAP and MAX to allow clubs to return if we agree not to?

I agree... other clubs should not be punished due to one clubs actions

Is anyone sure that it was this club's actions which caused RAP to drop club booths? It is sadly common that a few bad apples in all the clubs in the area have ruined the pie for everyone.

As far as the trip I won at RAP.  I never claimed to be a vender.  I simply stayed at the host hotel.  If I was not eligible to win I will take that up with the RAP board I have already reached out to them.  I do have a relationship with them which includes volunteering to help at the event.  If it was a mistake that I was awarded the trip I will make reparations.  

Just got off the phone with the manager of Reefapalozza.  Mr Carroll the Manager of Reefapalozza will be posting tomorrow to clarify this issue. 

Regarding the trip.  It was for people that stayed at the host hotel and traveled to the event for the event.  I was the perfect winner he said.

Regarding club booths.  Because they have moved the event to the hotel from the the fairgrounds there is not the room for clubs.  They are hopeful in a couple years to enlarge the event in to two room and then would have the space to give the clubs space.

Edited by Kim Pattison

MAX never had club booths. We rented a booth with CVR and shared the expense, only RAP had free club booths. MAX shut down for 1 year and their attendance was suffering so we went to just going to RAP. I also felt it was asking to much from the club for two donations of coral plus what they needed for swaps so I talked to CVR and stopped going to MAX, MAX is still a option just have to talk to CVR as they go every year and do well. As for the trip Kim won they gave her the entry, no one registered as anything other then a club and only her badge was paid for by the club as I stayed in another hotel to save the club cash as it was cheaper. She didnt even know about the trip and found the card under her door and invitation to the party below in which she barely made as we had ate dinner before hand. She happened to win and lots of people congratulated her, I heard nothing more about it from anyone and RAP staff had no issue with giving it to her, that is beyond the scope of our control. Were in a club only section of RAP and there is no way they could confuse that as a retailer, so I assume the other clubs that stayed at the hotel were also enrolled in that contest, but we were the only club from far away so we may have been the only club at the hotel. When I contacted RAP about a club booth this year I was told with the new venue they just dont have the room, they however left it open to doing it again. Thats all I have heard and this trip was quite a bit ago.

The TFI issue may or may not have been the cause of the decline in membership, or the loss of sponsors this past year, but one thing is certain: what has occurred in regards to the TFI issue can be construed as borderline embezzlement or misappropriation of funds. Both of which are very serious offenses.

The TFI account was supposedly created to "help the club" and to "order coral for the swap and Christmas party".  If those were the reasons for creating the account, why were these BOD members able to use the account to stock their own tanks with discounted fish and corals? PERSONAL GAIN.

Because of this, I recommend expulsion for good cause.

Edited by MisterReefer

Very well said MisterReefer. Also Braver, what a uturn from a failed offensive to a full defensive without even trying to discuss the issues brought up but rather throwing around a lot of hearsay which seems rather difficult to verify. I might be inclined to believe some of your account if it weren't for the demeanor you have demonstrated. Also of course the events are claiming to not have space, that is the kind way of saying they don't see enough value in letting us in.

Alright. I want to thank all members for taking the time to read thru this thread. You all have hit on some major points. At this point I’m locking the post and the BOD will talk this afternoon about proper punishment. 

Once again thank Hanks you all for your input.