Will846

Will’s almost didn’t happen upgrade 525XL

As most of you know I was deep into a build about 8 months ago. After filling the tank and it running for 2 weeks one of the worst days in my reefing history happened. A crack from the top middle all the way to bottom right corner. Luckily I was home and got the water out without any damage.

I ended up buying a reefer 170 to get me thru while I figured out what I wanted for the next tank. Luckily a buddy of mine found out he was moving and gave me a deal on his tank. So here it is.

My new to me Red Sea Reefer 525XL

Now remember I had all the equipment before hand for this size tank so the build went pretty quick. I used the same rock, sand, return pump, skimmer, circulating pump and light fixture.

Return pump: Reef Octopus VarioS 6

Skimmer: Vertex 180i

Circulating pumps: 2 MP-40’s

Light Fixture: Pacific Sun Diuna T5 8x54

And what you all been waiting for6c477192c21a40edc316c55b7168dec1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Will846 said:

As most of you know I was deep into a build about 8 months ago. After filling the tank and it running for 2 weeks one of the worst days in my reefing history happened. A crack from the top middle all the way to bottom right corner. Luckily I was home and got the water out without any damage.

I ended up buying a reefer 170 to get me thru while I figured out what I wanted for the next tank. Luckily a buddy of mine found out he was moving and gave me a deal on his tank. So here it is.

My new to me Red Sea Reefer 525XL

Now remember I had all the equipment before hand for this size tank so the build went pretty quick. I used the same rock, sand, return pump, skimmer, circulating pump and light fixture.

Return pump: Reef Octopus VarioS 6

Skimmer: Vertex 180i

Circulating pumps: 2 MP-40’s

Light Fixture: Pacific Sun Diuna T5 8x54

And what you all been waiting for6c477192c21a40edc316c55b7168dec1.jpg

Nice setup. 

Nice upgrade! It looks like there’s an alligator in your tank!

Lol. Ya, I seen that after you pointed it out.

But thanks. Still waiting on your upgrade thread??

So tank #3 with a successful start using Fritz Turbo Start 900. I know what some of you are thinking. But seriously it works.

My tank has been running now for 6 days. Just started to add coral little by little since Sunday.

Current fish stock

2-Extreme SnowOnyx Clownfish
2-Chromis
2-Lyretail Anthias
1-Yellow Eye Kole Tang
1-Chevron Tang
And last but not least My Barbonius Anthias

With that a quick full tank shote8a71b9804b953f07049ce3d24a6fc9a.jpg

Almost forgot. Totally in love with this Skimmer. If your in the market for a new skimmer Vertex is the way to go IMO. c2715ba736325e21eda023eec5b9e24b.jpg

This has only been running for a day.

How is the build going so far Dude? 

Had some ups and downs. Currently working on getting the Calcium Reactor online and dialed in so I can start loading up on SPS. Wanted to get the feel for it before I start adding the expensive Frags. Figured I’ll have some swings from what others have told me.

Man with all I’ve been dealing with this tank has really taken a beating. Nearly 2 months of no water changes.

Time to put in some overtime on the tank and get it back on track.

The calcium reactor is online now and I can say it was a lot easier of setting it up and dialing it in then I thought. I was totally stressed out the day I started it up.

Quick update.

I’ve been battling lettuce algae for the past 2 months. Finally swing positive results. First time dealing with lettuce algae and was one of the hardest I’ve delt with.

I’ve been doing 15 gallon water changes every week and switched from Fritz back to Reef Crystals.

Got a couple frags of SPS coming in and hope to start filling the tank with sticks.

Just in time for the store tour.

Came across a used Aqua UV 25W and added it to the tank this weekend. Let’s see how this does. Never ran a UV before. 

Just temped it up while I get my plumbing figured out. 

760BCD01-D16B-4CED-B2A6-512BDEE0093E.jpeg

Couple of stick picks. Tanks finally starting to work with me a bit. Hope these guys take offe780606f6a216d63dacba8b9b1ef0521.jpgdd86daa2f7391b19c7f6e75db0b7f418.jpg7a7e76c078932389cffffed87a9c7148.jpgcf1042b25d69a6fef1de32110182b65f.jpg