Hi All,

Just started my 45g tank last week. Setting up for a coral tank. I am working with the local fish store in introducing livestock but the light I bought in the Tank Kit is not good for corals. Was advised to buy an LED light. In the store it’s going for $350-$450, because it’s controllable by cell phone plus different colors. Online I’m finding cheap LEDs for under $100. Do I trust the store and buy from them even though it’s a bit pricey or look at other online deals? 

I like the phone option because it has timers, different color options, and is for an open tank.

FYI, super new so if my terms are incorrect I apologize! 

P.S- I put live rock in today so it’s not that bear...that’s just my only good pic showing the kind of light and size of tank.

E2442163-97CC-45D2-BEC3-02E4E3C58C5C.jpeg

What light is it that the store is trying to get you to buy? And what price range are you wanting to be in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What local store are you going to. Some are great and I would take their advise and others you have to be careful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah what Griz said about the 'black boxes' is true, they are ok but definitely not made to last and also have a risk of catching fire. In the price range they are talking you can get a top end led such as Kessil. If they are offing you something you can't find elsewhere it is likely not worth it, if you can find a better price elsewhere then it is up to you as to whether you want to support the store or not.

If you go with led be careful they are powerful. You want to use a par meter if possible. I did and found I had to reduce the lighting by 50%, I was cooking the corals...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk